iPhone 6 plus drops to 4G when making phone calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlyanks85, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I noticed this today when making a phone calls. Surfing the web, mail, Facebook, etc is all in LTE, but when as soon as I call somebody it automatically drops to 4G.

I reset network settings, and the cellular option on my phone is set to voice and data. I'm on ATT

Is this normal or is there a issue with my phone?

2. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Sorry, but that is normal for now. AT&T hasn't rolled out the VoLTE (Voice over LTE) as of yet, though rumors have it coming sometime this year to certain markets.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is currently normal and has been happening since the first LTE iphone 5 came out. Same with the 5S and 5C.
    Currently AT&T is rolling voice over LTE so when it gets turned on in your local area you will be able to make calls and use data while connected to LTE without dropping down to HSPA+

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Same happens with TMO practically everywhere I am. Quality is fine though.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's down to the network and not Apple. In the UK (on O2 at least) we cannot make calls over 4G, so the phone switches to 3G.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

To add to Applejuiced's point; VoLTE will only be used if both handsets support the feature. Otherwise the phone will fallback to HSPA+ even in VoLTE markets.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you positive about that?
    I'm not sure if that's the case currently on Verizon.
    I think you're mixing volte with hd audio calling.

8. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

He's mixing them up cause I just used VOLTE on mine with T-Mobile and LTE was on during the whole call. I was talking to a friend on AT&T that has an iPhone 5s.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's the same in Italy. There is no voice over 4G.

----------

Did you mean " drops to 3G" ? :confused:

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

The other user doesn't have to have VoLTE. I use it to talk to people on other carriers and even landlines on TMO. You might be confusing it with Verizon and HD Voice.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

USA, for whatever reason, thinks they are special and has to do things differently. For us it is as follows:

LTE = what you see as 4G
    4G = HSPA+ (I believe you see this as 3G too)
    3G = What you see as 3G

There was a whole amrketing thing when LTE was first rolling out about HSPA+ being 4G because it was faster than standard HSPA... stupid, but it stuck.

Anyway, in theory, it is possible to see LTE, 4G, or 3G on US carriers (though it has been over two years since I saw 3G since everything has been updated to HSPA+ around here)

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

My bad. I was thinking of HD voice.

13. gvndeb60 macrumors newbie

You aren't missing much with VoLTE right now. On T-Mobile when using VoLTE and driving, I drop the call anytime I go from a tower that supports VoLTE to a tower that doesn't. It's still very new and not perfect.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I live near Portland, Oregon and I'm able to make phone calls while staying on LTE with my Verizon 6+ on the AT&T network. I'd take a screenshot but unfortunately iOS decides that I want to end the call when I hit the sleep/wake button.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I've read that there are some test markets that are live. Yours would seem to be one of them! There is';t anything official yet. If you ask AT&T reps they will more than likely deny it. Such is the case with all pilot projects, really.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Thank you for the explanation :D
    I did notice that on my old iPhone 5, that showed LTE, after iOS 7 installation, where on the same network 4G appeared. Actually I have Vodafone 4G indicated.
    And yes, I can confirm that in Europe HSPA+ is still reported as 3G (Vodafone network in Italy is almost all HSPA+/LTE).
    so basically in Europe you can't have voice over 4G (it always reverts to 3G), while you can in USA (being HSPA+).

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Correct. :)

18. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Same here in Romania.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

don't forget about that damn "E" that some of us still see. Tmobile actually shows:

LTE = LTE
    4G= HSPA+
    E = Edge

I don't think I have ever seen a 3G on tmobile.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

It used to show "3G" back before they officially started carrying the iPhone. Apple released a carrier update that changed it to "4G" shortly after they got the iphone. The iphone 4, 3GS, and 3G will still display "3G".

Also T-Mobile and AT&T can still display "GPRS" in those rare areas where this is still the only available data.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I did forget that :(
    I haven't seen E for two years (except when I tried TMO for a very brief spell). I feel for you.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Few live markets right now! Boston is a few weeks away, according to the AT&T folk I've talked to around here.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/hd-voice.html

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I don't think I've seen EDGE since I've had my iPhone 4.

----------

Not the store reps. The tower crews, who happened to be replacing antennas, ontop of my apartment complex. I basically live under a giant AT&T/VZW tower. :cool:

25. KPOM macrumors G5

AT&T has rolled out VoLTE to about 20 markets right now, mostly in the Midwest, but also DC. Check their coverage maps for HD Voice to see if VoLTE is active in your area.

----------

T-Mobile is who lobbied the ITU so that they could call HSPA+ "4G" instead of 3G.

They are supposedly refarming the rest of their 2G towers to LTE by the end of the year. They claim they will have LTE coverage as extensive as Verizon's.

----------

I thought that VoLTE automatically hands off to UMTS/3G on GSM networks and it was only on Verizon that the call would automatically drop if you left an LTE area (since VoLTE doesn't natively support handoffs to CDMA, and Verizon isn't building the necessary infrastructure on their CDMA network to enable it).