iphone 6 plus: in store pickup at apple store, requires drivers license number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesdoe, Sep 27, 2014.

1. jamesdoe macrumors newbie

i placed an order on the apple website to pick up an iphone 6 plus (verizon) in the apple store

when i went into the store, they checked my ID to make sure my name matched the name on the order, which was obviously fine.

but for the final step, they asked for my drivers license number to input into their system. they said they needed it to "confirm" that i am the right person who ordered the phone. would not give me the phone without DL # and said no way around it.

i know that neither verizon nor apple has my DL # in their database, so im confused as to why i need to give it out. i dont give my DL # out because its not needed in cases like this (but also for privacy/ID theft issues). speaking to a manager, they said the same thing.

one rep said that when he tried to input an incorrect DL #, he got an error and had to call (forget if he had to call the carrier or apple internal) to finalize the pickup.

with this last piece (if it is to be believed), the only thing i can think of is that apple or verizon has their database connected to my state's dmv and thats how they verify. but this seems far fetched.

this is in CA and i can confirm other apple stores follow the same policy.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm not sure about the number specifically, but AT&T requires ID before you can do anything and the Apple store does check if that is your carrier.

3. wongster macrumors regular

When I picked up my phone on launch day (in San Francisco), I was just asked to show my ID to verify I was the person who bought the phone. Was never asked for my CADL#.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

You need two forms of id to pick up. One state and one with your full name in it.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I just picked up a 6 in CT and they required it also.