iPhone 6 Plus internal design tweak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toneLA2, Oct 2, 2014.

1. toneLA2 macrumors member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if the complete unavailability of the iPhone 6 Plus meant something other than 'low yields'.

I won't really go into the whole bendgate debate. This is a vain exercise and countless threads demonstrate that just fine.

Whether they admit the iPhone's 'weak spot' to be an issue or not (read whether or not having people trying to snap their phones in half should be regarded as an issue), I could bet money on the fact that we'll see a slight internal redesign behind the volume buttons in 2015 with the 6S+.

With all the media frenzy surrounding the iPhone 6 Plus — special thanks to that toolbox from Unbox Therapy, could it be that Apple is rushing into a quick internal tweak before releasing a new batch out of their factories in China? Would it make sense to do so?

I just don't understand how not a single 6 Plus is available nationwide, looking at their online stocks, this is what it feels like. Are people currently actively receiving Plus units at home?

Thoughts?

2. Zxxv Suspended

post in one of the already running topics. None of us want to see a new topic created just to keep attention on bend gate. And your join date suggests you have bad intentions for starting this. Newbies (and those with low post count) generally start posting in running topics not creating new ones.

Can mods start deleting these?

3. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. My account was hacked a while ago, so I have a second one. Who the hell are you to tell me what I should say or not say?

Wondering if we see a design tweak on a device I have on order for delivery on 11/9/2014 isn't something I should ask your permission to openly question here. This kind of attitude is getting out of hand around MR as of late. What about you get a life and stop being the Internet police for a second?

Can moderators actually do their job and ask people to stop insinuating OPs have 'bad intentions' when they ask a valid question? This is getting detrimental to the forums big time.

For the record, I own a 2014-rMBP, an iPad mini retina, an iMac 27", an iPhone 5S, an Apple TV and have been using Apple devices since 1997. (When you were probably just 4 yo.)

4. Zxxv Suspended

one of lots on here who are bored with the same **** appearing as a separate topic when its been covered in multiple running topics so grow up.

----------

I remember 1997 but I was far from being 4. I remember pong, I remember atari, I remember packman, betamax, vhs winning, rocky being released on vhs, first blood, ghostbusters hitting the cinema, all being introduced ;)

5. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

I brought this up earlier in another thread.

The only thing that makes sense to me on the delays of the Plus is that they did want to secretly apply a fix such as reinforce the casing before releasing more.

People seem now to be getting their orders though. we'll see.

if this is the case, im fine with having to weight a few more weeks.

6. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I think there very little chance that Apple will strengthen 6 plus design. That would mean they recognized there is a flaw and may obligate them to replace the units already sold. The iPhone 6S plus may be redesigned to increase strength. I think Apple underestimated the demand for the 6 plus and they are in short supply. Also I'm sure that fact that they just released it in 20 additional countries and getting ready for an October 17th release in China are also constraining supplies.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Personally I feel like the amount of stock for the 6+ is fine for what is happening. Apple made 2 different iPhones for the very first time (no the 5c doesn't count since it's really just a 5 with a plastic body) so they probably had to decide on which phone that most of their customers were going to buy and focus on making sure that one was in stock no matter what: The iPhone 6.

As for an internal design tweak holding up the 6+ stock? I highly doubt it since Apple has already set a precedent of not fixing design issues in the past (i.e. iPhone 4 antenna issue) and simply doing so for the next generation. At this point I think they feel they can hardly keep up with demand as it is and they are simply cranking out handsets as fast as they can without worry of the extremely low % reports of bending.

[​IMG]

8. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

I've been on the verge of canceling my online order to try at the store and pick one up. Even created a new email account to enroll with istocknow.com (scared of spam ha!) and I haven't received one single email since I registered. Was at VZW and they haven't seen one since launch day. Same for Apple at the Beverly Center and the Grove.

I had my 5S way after launch so I can't compare experiences. I know it's still early (it's been 10ish days since launch) but it seems excessively odd.

As to applying a fix internally, do they need FCC approval for that?

----------

I like the anchorman reference. Fav of mine. And yes, too quickly for my liking. Ridiculous.

9. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

Perhaps they're out of stock, which is hard for me to imagine. They knew the demand was going to be high, and why would they assume hardly anyone would want the plus model?

They were producing over 500,000 iphone 5s units a day when it was released. Surely they found more ways of being efficient by now.

You're lucky that you have apple stores near you. Closest ones to me are 150+ miles a way!

Im hoping that since i ordered directly through apple, for the no contract device, that i might get it sooner since i dont have to go through third parties such as ATT or verizon.

I'm not sure of the regulations and stuff on electronics. A outter casing tweak doesn't sound like it'd be hard to approve though.

By the way, apple does have a history of secretly tweaking their devices.

10. Zxxv Suspended

Sure a thinly veiled topic bringing bend hate to the top of the forum again yawn when this very subject has been discussed and beaten to death in other multiple thread for anyone who isn't lazy enough to read them.

Bend hate is now ios autocorrecting and not me being childish.

11. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

At this point, you and I are on the same boat. I have 20 stores in a 50 miles radius and they all say 'unavailable for pick-up.' Heck, I would almost be tempted to drive down to San Diego from LA if one was available there. No luck so far.

I didn't know they tweaked devices before. Which ones are you referring to?

----------

That's great. Thank you for your input.

12. Zxxv Suspended

I wasn't talking to you

13. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that makes sense. I didn't account for the legal aspect of a design tweak. People would freak out and say they want the updated one as this would implicitly confirm a design flaw.