iPhone 6 Plus keeps switching off - help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deeds500, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Deeds500 macrumors regular

Two Sundays ago I collected my brand new iPhone 6 Plus 128 gig model from an Apple store here in Australia. I paid for the device outright. Cost me over $1,200.

I took it home and within 5 minutes of setting up the fingerprint touch ID, I was prompted by the device whether to upgrade to ios 8.1.2. I upgraded so my device is currently running ios 8.1.2.

My contacts, calendar entries and bookmarks were synced over from icloud and my songs and apps that I had purchased from the itunes store were downloaded directly to my new device via the itunes store and app store apps. So in other words, I did not restore from back up. I also uploaded some song files from my CD collection (no point purchasing songs when you already have them on CD). After downloading all my content, I have about 50 gig of free space left.

The problem I have is that the device switches off randomly. It started happening as I was adding more and more apps to the device. There is no telltale sign as to when it will happen. It just happens. It can happen 10 times a day, 3 times a day, 20 times a day, 5 times a day, etc etc, you get the picture. It happens when I am viewing widgets in the notification centre, when I go to make a call, when I switch between apps via the multitasking feature, when I press play on a song, when I use the ‘Hey Siri’ feature or when I activate a native or third party app. Like I said, it is random, sometimes it will switch off, sometimes it won’t. When I try to switch from one app to another, my heart is in my mouth as I wait to see if the phone will switch off or not. Just when I think it’s been a while since the last switch off and start thinking that maybe the problem has somehow gone away, I am quickly reminded that it has not.

Sometimes the reboots can take a minute, sometimes they can take up to 10 minutes. When they last longer, I usually see the blue screen of death which I have seen others refer to it as.

According to another site, this problem is not particular to me. Alot of people have complained about very similar issues, all on the Plus model. When I rang Apple Care the other day, the guy I spoke to reacted like he had never heard of the problem before. He suggested I wipe the phone clean and try again as it “sounds like a software issue”. However the people on this forum were not certain whether it was a hardware or software fault. Some stated that as they were restoring their Plus after they had done a complete wipe, it was still happening. Some had done the full restore and the problem persisted. So I don’t want to waste my time wiping the phone to factory set and start again only for it to start crashing again.

I’m going to call Apple and make an appointment with a genius at the store where I got the phone. I’m pretty annoyed. I spent $1,200 plus (Australian) buying this phone outright and to date I’ve had a pretty crappy user experience. When the phone does not crash, it’s great. Unfortunately, it crashes continuously.

Does anyone have any advice they can give about when I go to the Apple store? Should I request a new phone? Will they be able to diagnose the problem (the guy I spoke to sounded like he had not heard of the problem before)? Is it a particular app or apps which may be causing this? Is it the number of apps which may be causing this? Is it hardware? Software? Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, is it resolved or unresolved?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The first thing to try is set it up as a new phone and see if you can still repliacte the issue. You won't have your contacts, but you can try to rule out hardware.

If you can NOT replicate the issue, unortunately there is something in your restore files causing the problem. At that point you can either deal with it, or truly set up as a new phone. I personally store all contacts in google and iOS, so that if I do have issues, much of the gruntwork is eliminated with setting up from scratch.

Of course, if you do replicate the issue, it is likely hardware. Apple will swap it.

3. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Looks like it's the infamous random reboot issues that seems to be affecting a bunch of 128GB iPhone 6+ devices.

Better send it back in.

I'm on a 64GB iPhone 6+ from Optus, and even though it's got TLC, so far there's no issues.

5. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks yjchua95. I'm actually on hold with Apple Care as I am typing this (15 minute plus wait). Your status on the side says you're from Melbourne. Me too. Got my device from the Highpoint store. Gonna tell Apple I want a replacement from Highpoint.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I got mine from Telstra :)

7. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors regular

Went to the Apple store today at Highpoint. According to Apple, I have too many Apps. I would have thought a 128 gig phone could handle any number of apps you download, up to its capacity, but no.

8. STEVEMS2305 macrumors newbie

That is a known problem on the 6 + 128 gig phone. Not all experience this but the only model is the 128 gig. It is directly related to number of apps on phone..