iPhone 6 Plus lightning cable direction

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PSB136, Nov 20, 2014.

1. PSB136 macrumors member

I thought I could plug the iPhone 6 Plus lightning cable into my phone either way up? But if I do it one way, Windows says the USB device is not recognized. Flip it over, and Windows sees my iPhone and makes it available.

What's the story? Already tried booting both my Win 7 PC and iPhone, and tried two different cables.

2. tvotony macrumors regular

You might want to take that to Apple and see if they would replace it. It was meant to be reversible

3. PSB136, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

PSB136 thread starter macrumors member

BOTH cables, though? Seems strange that they were working fine either way recently (I never checked which way I plugged it in, just did it). Now today, only one side on both cables. Hmm.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

The cable is reversible and it works by simply having contacts on both sides of the connector, but it only actually uses one side. If the connector on the cable is dirty on one side it can cause it to work when it's inserted one way, but not the other. The first thing I'd try is to clean the connector and see if that helps. If not then likely the cable is bad. Take both the cable and the phone to Apple and they can take care of it.

5. PSB136 thread starter macrumors member

Tried a third cable and it works both sides. Weird that 2 out of 3 failed, when they're only 2 months old; and yes, they're both totally clean. :mad: They were the two that came with the phones, too. The third was a longer 2m cable I bought at a local computer shop.

Would the Apple Store replace both cables under warranty?

6. ekoulak macrumors newbie

Had this problem before with multiple iPhones. Clean the Lightning plug on the cable and you'll be ok. If not go to apple and swap it out.

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Yes, I've had the apple store replace cables for me before. If they came with a phone then you should bring the phones with you as the warranty will be tied to the phones. When I did it, I made a genius bar appointment for the iPhone, then once I got there it was a five minute process for them to check out the cable and get a new one and send me on my way.