[iPhone 6 Plus] LTE connection issues, Wifi slow, Excessive data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nrwrit3r, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

My LTE data on At&t will randomly stop working, and toggling airplane mode seems to fix it.

When connected to Wifi, it is extremely slow and sometimes doesn't work at all (could be same issue causing LTE).

Lastly, I have used 2GB of data and sent my family plan over the limit because apparently my phone is using cellular data while connected to Wifi. Could I email AT&T or Apple about this issue?

2. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I am having same issue with LTE with my 6. Seems to happen when going from wi-fi to a cellular connection. Toggling would bring it back. I just turned LTE off and have no issues. I know that solution is not for everyone, but it's not a huge deal for me until it gets resolved.

3. chromos macrumors member

I'm also showing excessive data usage on my new 6. Strangely, the anomalous days are last Fri 9.19 (350 MB), when I received the new phone, and Wed 9.24 (520 MB) when I disastrously upgraded to 8.0.1, then downgraded to 8.0.

I was chatting online with an ATT rep, to see if they could explain the issue, but they gave pretty canned responses. It looks like I'll be resigned to pay an overage this month. :mad:

4. Gonzoxy macrumors newbie

I'm also having issues with excessive data usage & slow wi-fi. At times it'll be extremely slow and other times decent and I can't seem to find out why. I got my iPhone 6 on release day and didn't really pay much attention towards my data usage until my billing cycle restarted on the 21st. Since then I've accumulated almost 500 MB's which is nearly 20% of my data in just five days! I'm on Verizon with a 2GB data plan along with 1GB for two years (promotional offer). Kinda bummed about using so much data because I absolutely do not want to go over my limit. Kinda wish I had unlimited data :mad:

5. smeg36 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue with my 6 Plus when leaving range of a wifi network and switching to LTE. This is the only thread with this issue I could find anywhere. It's apparently not carrier specific, I'm using MetroPCS. And it is sporadic, it doesn't always need to have airplane mode toggled to get cellular data working. I'll occasionally get a pop up "Could Not Activate Cellular Data" message as well. And my MMS settings were wrong, I had to manually edit them.

I'm going to call Apple support, but I know the first thing they're going to have me try is doing a clean restore, which I don't want to do.

6. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

8.1 beta 1 and 2 fixes it... Update if you can't deal with waiting a few days for the official release

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Can anyone else confirm that 8.1 fixes this issue? I have painfully slow WiFi and LTE connections on AT&T on my iPhone 6 Plus. Resetting Network Settings will get it working for a few minutes then it reverts to painfully slow. And I mean painfully slow, <.5mb/sec. If someone else can confirm I'll hold off on heading to the Apple Store.

8. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Just wait, 8.1 is coming monday and it will fix the problem. It's fixed for me since updating as well as countless friends and family I updated to 8.1 b2.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'll give it a go, cheers.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Just to follow up with this, iOS 8.1 did nothing to fix my problem. I'll be headed to the Apple Store. Thanks for the suggestion though.

11. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Being throttled? Happened to me.

Wifi works fine for me after 8.1 though so I can't comment.

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You're spot on, I just bought a new house and upgraded to 75/75 Verizon FiOs and it works beautifully on wifi - on LTE thought I'm still throttled to around .5 - it's unbelievable.

13. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

AT&T throttled me to .01 Mbps up and down on 3G or LTE.... My "unlimited" data haha

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah. It's pretty terrible.

15. Hoya1 macrumors newbie

Re: excess cellular data usage, I had the same problem on my iPhone 6. Checked cellular settings to make sure there weren't any buggy apps using up a ton of data. Found one, so I turned the cellular data off on that app, but I also found that I was unable to turn off cellular data for certain default apps including calendar, app store, facetime, etc., and I also noticed that cellular data usage was reported when I wasn't using my phone, like in the middle of the night.

When I tried turning cellular data off for the app store, etc., and then exit "settings", I'd go back in and find them turned on again. Took it to the Genius Bar. They wiped the phone which seemed to take care of it, but when I then later restored to get my apps and photos, etc. back on the phone, the problem returned.

I had to do a clean wipe and rebuild it from scratch, not restoring from my last sync. Now it works fine, and my cellular data usage has dropped dramatically.

16. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

the excessive data usage, check your System Services and iTunes Accounts... that seems to the source of many phantom data usages...

for that, go to SETTINGS->iTunes and App Store->and turn off automatic downloads and Use Cellular Data. I have the 2 options for Suggested Apps turned off as well...

good luck...