iPhone 6 Plus one handed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blwade, Sep 29, 2014.

1. blwade macrumors 6502

I bought an iPhone 6+ and love it.

For the most part, I can use it one handed to do things like texting... with the exception of reaching Q, upper case, and the button to change to the number board...

I can live without using one hand to use upper case and q (how often do I use that letter? Will just let auto correct catch it). But not being able to reach the numbers keyboard is kind of annoying - most annoying when I hit the emoticon or voice recoding keys trying to reach it)

Have others had this issue? Have you come up with a solution to resolve that?

I have started to use swiftkey some. This helps by putting some punctuation at the bottom by the return button. And it removes the voice recoding option (good and bad?). But still doesn't make it easy to pull up numbers and other symbols if needed.

In before "just use 2 hands" or other similar comments. Just want to know if other users have found a way to make this easier!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I know you dont want to hear it, but I use 2 hands, or slightly change the grip or my phone to rest in the crease between my fingers and palm. I dont like to make deals of these first world problems nonsense.

3. tekkt0r macrumors member

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

6. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I'm almost there with one hand.

I'm confident there will be a one-handed keyboard released that is basically the same size as the previous iPhone keyboard but pushed to the right side of the screen.

My issue is with back page in Safari. Swiping from the left side is also difficult. I wish just a left to right swipe from the center of the screen would do it.

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Or bend it towards your thumb

8. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't guess I've had an issue adjusting my grip just a little bit to go back in Safari.

Adjusting my grip to hit the numbers makes me feel like I'm going to drop the phone though.

A one handed keyboard will help a little bit!

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Nothing can beat my ability to use one hand to access every single function of my 4 inch phone.
    If I want, I have no issues using two hands too. But I rather much like to just browse things with one hand, while having the other one free, or grabbing something else.

10. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

It seems like the 4.7" would be fine one handed too... if that's your priority.

For me I do like one handed use, but the huge scrern morethan makes up for it in other ways.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

To each his own. I can't comfortably use iPhone 6 one handed, at all.
    I have a good sight, and never watch movies on my phone. I couldn't care less about having a bigger screen. I much prefer usability. :)

12. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with one handed use, I'm actually left handed which is probably better for keyboard use as I can reach the number button easier.

----------

This is another thing that until I read this post I took for granted that I can do easily being a lefty!

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I have zero problem using the phone one handed, and do so 90% of the time...often while walking. Maybe it is my hands, I don't know. Maybe I am just used to bigger phones, which I have used in the past.

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Now you know why Apple is coming out with a Watch.

15. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Do you even lift bro?

16. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

My real name starts with a "Q" so that's a dealbreaker for me. ;) And not using uppercase? The horror! Just use 2 hands you uncivilized barbarian! :D (or perhaps get a device more suitable to your needs?)

17. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

I can actually type again, fast. Even had a friend on wechat comment on how fast I was typing (usually I'm hopeless).

I type two handed, but because the screen's larger I'm making way less mistakes.

18. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

I can use it one handed. But prefer to use 2.

19. julesgold macrumors regular

I use my 2 hands... Actually, I use my 2 hands on the 5s as well (when typing). I just type easier and faster with both of my hands

20. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

I use 2 hands a large part of the time too...

Good to know that people are interested in upping their post count by posting irrelevant/unneeded/dumb posts that add nothing to the conversation.

I'm not complaining about the size - I love it.

I know there are people adjusting to the iPhone 6 plus and have learned different tricks to use it 1 handed.

I'm looking to see if others have overcome some obstacles with having a larger device. It is that simple.

21. Moonloop macrumors member

Moonloop

One Handed

Maybe we should all be using Siri ;)

~M`

22. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

If only Siri worked like the Moto X! ;)

I feel awkward speaking my text messages out loud in public ;)

23. MacGillicuddy macrumors newbie

Gizmodo just reviews this app and said it's pretty good for one handed typing. http://AppStore.com/OneHandedKeyboard

24. SchuettS macrumors 6502

How small are your hands? I have medium sized hands and can reach about an inch passed Q with my thumb. My pinky is supporting the bottom of the phone with the rest of my fingers on the back. I only have problems reaching the top of the screen.

25. blwade thread starter macrumors 6502

My hands aren't tiny... my fingers are known to be shorter. I have trouble doing an 'M' in sign language ;)

I'm 6 ft tall. My 5 ft 2 inch wife's fingers are about as long as mine. (long fingers/toes run in her family).

I can hit the Q relatively easy using my right hand. But I do have to tilt the phone a little bit. This tilt when trying to hit the number button makes me almost drop the thing.

I have found I can text much easier one handed if I use my left hand. I don't have a problem texting left handed... but it does take a little adjustment to grab the phone in that hand when I need to do that!