iphone 6 plus or note 4 if invested in iOS ecosystem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel Quell, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Daniel Quell macrumors member

I'm extremely conflicted. I think that I like the note 4 better, but I have so much money dedicated to iOS and itunes. I know there are ways around it, but I feel like it would be a huge hassle. Home Sharing works so perfectly I wish there was something like that for android.

Basically, should I get an iphone 6 plus because I'm stuck or is there a relatively simple way like Home sharing which will let me at least listen to music. I know my apps would be gone with the wind though.

Thank you for the help.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Try the N4 for 14 days, and see if you like it since you are leaning towards it. But remember, if you get the 6 plus, the resell value will be a lot higher. If you get tired of the 6 plus in the future, you could sell it and pay full price for a N4 on Swappa, eBay, etc.

3. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I agree with the comment above-- try the Note 4 for the 14 days. This will give you a better idea of how embedded you are in the iOS/OSX ecosystem.
    If all else fails, you can return and get the 6 Plus with the satisfaction of giving the Note 4 a fair chance. :)

4. nexus4life macrumors regular

Please don't take this as anti-android or me taking any particular stance here, rather just stating some facts:

1. Touchwiz is SUPER resource intensive and bloated.
    2. Carrier apps will be on it that you can't remove without rooting.
    3. You are not guaranteed android updates, and the ones you MAY get won't come for many months after their official release.

This is why I strongly urge you to consider the nexus 6 if you want to go the android route.

1. Stock android is NOT resource intensive/bloated.
    2. No carrier apps that can't be uninstalled
    3. You get updates immediately.

I've loved android devices for a long time, recently switched to iOS due to changing needs, but I still very much enjoy using my Nexus 5 from time to time and have a feeling I'm going to end up ordering a 6 or a 9 at some point.

5. bkar89, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

I switched from my 4s to the note II when that was released. Great phone, but i returnere it after after 14 days. I thought i liked it more than the iPhone 5. Ended up buying the iPhone 5 later. Using it right now, while I wait for my 6 plus to arrive...

It's hard to point at one single thing. Having invested a lot in the apple ecosystem plays a part. But it's the overall feel of the phone. Touchwiz is really terrible, and a reason alone for installing a custom rom. Not to mention delayed os updates.

Apps aren't as good either. There are less of them. The major players are there, but more advanced and expensive apps shy the platform out of fare for piracy. If you play games on your phones, android seems to be considered second tier by devopers. Games arrive later or not at all. The sAme goes for a lot of apps to.

I guess a lot might have changed since I had my note 2. But I still keep a less expensive android phone to play around with, and the apps/games part is still true.

Get the note 4, test it out. By 14 days you should get a decent feel for the phone, and maybe supply has fought up with the 6 Plus demand too

There is very little communication between Mac products and android. You'll need thirdparty software for almost everything, even simple file transfers. As for homesharing, you could do SMB filesharing from your mac. But if you have purchased a lot of media from iTunes, I don't know how it will work out with DRM. Music will be fine, but tv and movies might not be as pain free

----------

I agree strongly! Buying a Samsung phone is a lot like purchasing a cheap laptop filled to the brim with bloatware. Nexus is equal to that same laptop after you format the **** out of it and do a fresh install of windows.

6. Daniel Quell, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

This might seem like a cop out, but after sleeping on it I decided to get the iphone 6 plus. It just makes the most sense economically believe it or not. Apple really has their hooks in me. :apple:

Now I have to wait a few weeks until they get more in stock. They seem to be sold out everywhere.

7. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

After spending some time with a friend's Note 4, I have to say it's an AMAZING device. It does a LOT of things right (1440p screen, stylus support, 2GB RAM, the ability to use a flip case that turns the screen on/off, SD card expanability, removable battery, etc.). In addition, it is a fastdevice.

TouchWiz is the deal breaker, it sucks. And all the bloatware.

If it were stock Android with the latest updates, I might have waited for it instead of getting the 6 plus.

8. erzhik macrumors 6502

I have to agree. Nexus 6 is pretty much the size of Note so it makes more sense to wait for a Nexus device instead.

9. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

6 plus. I tried android and it just didn't fit in with my Mac Eco system. my biggest gripes were not having iMessages and the camera. iPhones really do produce the best images. (Although I do wish they turn down the noise reduction on iOS 8)

Oh and AirPlay and AirDrop

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Although I see the OP decided to stay on the iOS platform, I'm still going to emphasize: ALWAYS make sure you know EXACTLY when that 14th day is for returns... Don't make assumptions, if you get it wrong you're the one who loses. :D