iPhone 6 Plus Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D.Tran11, Jan 27, 2015.

1. D.Tran11 macrumors newbie

So I am planning on trading my current Verizon iPhone 6 with a friend of mine who has the iPhone 6 Plus but on T-Mobile. If I put my Verizon SIM card in the 6 Plus, will it work or will the 6 Plus be locked to T-Mobile?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on how he bought the phone. If it was purchased using JUMP or an equipment installment plan, then T-Mobile has locked the phone. If he bought it outright with no payment plan (preferably from Apple, not T-Mobile) and can show you the receipt proving so, then it should be unlocked.

Of course the surefire way to find out is to put your Verizon SIM in his phone. If you get Verizon service on his phone, then it's unlocked. "Invalid SIM" means it's locked.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Is it an actual friend or just someone you kind of sort of know? If it's a good friend, swap sims real quick and see. :)

The above post is good info though. ;)

4. cwosigns macrumors 65816

It will not work on Verizon unless he bought a Verizon version. All Verizon iPhones with LTE are required to be unlocked per the FCC. Some T-Mobile versions are unlocked, but Verizon only allows the Verizon version of the iPhone to work on their network.

5. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I'm not sure if that's accurate. I believe all iPhone 6s are created equal, and as long as they are unlocked, any iPhone 6 should work on any U.S. carrier (with the possible exception of Sprint).

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I am sure it is accurate. The iPhones that are sold as Verizon phones have their IMEI/MEID numbers in Verizon's system. If you buy a non-Verizon unlocked model, it will not work because the IMEI/MEID numbers are not in Verizon's database.

Some people have put a Verizon SIM in an unlocked/T-Mobile version and gotten SOME of the features to work, but it typically causes ongoing problems. If you're not in an LTE area, it won't fall back to CDMA for calls or data. Visual Voicemail doesn't work. I've seen other random issues reported.

A Verizon iPhone 5, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus will work on any LTE network because it is sold unlocked, per the FCC.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can't ACTIVATE an AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ on Verizon, but if you have an already active sim it'll work just fine.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This has changed. There are threads with dozens of pages chronicling that, starting with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus, any unlocked device will work with Verizon. What Verizon will not do is let you come into the store with one of those "non Verizon" ohines and start a new line of service for it. Verizon logic.