Iphone 6 Plus question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asjdwf, Mar 18, 2015.

1. asjdwf macrumors newbie

I am currently using a samsung Galaxy S5. I am really really tempted to use my wife's upgrade, get the 6 plus, and let her use my S5. I have a few questions about the 6 plus though.

1. Is the battery comparable, better than the S5? (I get a day and a half out of the S5)
    2. I know how IOS works, is this "Lag" I read about a real thing or not?
    3. Is there anything else I need to know that would keep me from switching.

I have two kids that are young and I just need fast, simple, and something that works all the time, everytime.

Thank you all for your time,

asjdwf

2. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

1. Based on my experience with the S5 and directly compared to my Note 4, battery life is better and stand by time is insanely good. If you're getting a day and half on a S5 you should have no issues with similar use and set up on a 6 plus.
    2. Yeah I've read about it too, never experienced though
    3. It's a great phone, can't think of any reason to not switch but that's something only you can decide. If you can, stop by a store and get some hands on time with it.

3. Quijano187 macrumors member

The last update has made a huge difference in the lag on my iPhone 6 plus. Go head and buy with confidence .

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I use mine HEAVILY and there is still plenty of life in it at the end of the night before I plug it in. When I first got it, putting it through a battery cycle took 2 days.

I have never experienced Lag on mine, but if you have those issues they are great with service.

It's a great phone, it DOES just work. No Bloatware, no privacy issues, its a great size screen with excellent resolution.

Enjoy, let us know what you decide.

PS. There is a 14 day return period if you end up not liking it. Just understand if you haven't used IOS there is a little time to get used to it and transition.

5. gmintz09 macrumors member

1. My sister has an S5 and I have a 6+, and I would say I easily get better battery life, and as others have said, the standby time is far superior. I have to work very hard to kill the battery on my 6+ in one day, while she generally has to recharge before the end of the day. Usage rates for both of us are roughly the same.

2. I wouldn't worry about lag. If you're used to Touch Wiz and Samsung in general, you've seen all the lag you'd ever see on an iPhone. My general experiences have been much better with iOS than Touch Wiz. There's no denying that iOS 7&8 are buggy compared to previous OS, but I rarely see a lag that seriously impacts the way I use my phone. Occasional hiccups here and there, but rarely.

3. As long as you realize that iOS is more restrictive than the "every bell and whistle" Samsung devices, you'll be fine. I personally find the iOS experience smoother and more reliable, but it's worth keeping in mind the obvious differences between Android's open-sourced nature and iOS's closed-source nature. Good and bad to both.

6. Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

I for one have had just about every flagship android. Currently own the s5, M8, G3,and note 4. Yes, safe to say I have a problem. Lol.

I picked up the 6 plus a month ago and am amazed with this device. I tried iOS when the iPhone 5 came out and got rid of it in a week and back to android.

A few of my coworkers had the 6 , on job sites where I had no service they had full bars. That in itself prompted me to try it out.

I consider myself a moderate to heavy user and I come home at 6 pm with 65% still left,off charger at 530a m. Battery life blows away all my androids.

As for lag, haven't seen any, except while using chrome. I get a bit of a stutter and force close. Only on chrome for some reason.

By far this is the happiest I have been with a phone in a long time. It just works. Easy, dependable , and reliable.

Plus like someone else stated, you have a 14 day return period. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I will echo all positive comments. Best phone I have owned. They are even better if you have others with iPhones.

However, you are 6 months from the 6S/7. If not critical, I would wait and see. In meantime play with them in Store. The only problem I have had in Store is that it never simulates actually owning one.

Good Luck :) :apple:

8. asjdwf, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it worth the wait really? How much of a jump would it be? Also...do they make cases for the 6 plus so the camera doesn't stick out?

THANK YOU ALL

AJ

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Not sure about rates. My Apple silicon case doesn't have camera stick out.

10. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

11. technosix macrumors 6502a

I've owned every iPhone, my 6 & 6 Plus are very buggy, crash frequently and just very disappointing. Certainly not up to Apple quality of the past.

Conversely my Nexus 5 and 6 are terrific. Stable smooth and fast, there's a world of difference. The moment Apple announces the next new iPhone I'm a buyer.

Plus if you haven't seen the rumors, Apple's admitted they're going to focus on quality with the upcoming iOS 9. That'll be so much better, can't get much worse than iOS 8.

12. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't heard one person i work with that has one that wishes they had stayed with android. I own the S5 and sometimes I wish I had an apple lol. Nexus phones are good if you don't need the camera. What will be so different with the Iphone 6S? I'm confused...

13. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I think the 6S will be 2gb and improved Camera. Just saying if new phone is not critical at this time, you hopefully would have the newest as this one is 6 months old. Unless they have good deals. The 1gb doesn't bother me, but some it may.

A lot of folks could use this phone for 2 years without missing having a new one. It is that good. But, you have weigh your needs and the money. :)

Play with it at Store a few times if possible.

14. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

How about the bending thing? Is that something I need to worry about?
    I am going to get zagg glass screen protector and a case for it.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've had my iPhone 6 Plus since November last year and it hasn't bent on me yet.

16. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Man I don't know. Reading about this bending thing. I put the phone in my front pocket at work daily. I don't know......

17. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

What I think, is you can come to these forums, medical forums etc and see many posts on issues. People with issues tend to be more vocal everywhere. For every bad iPhone or user experience there are a thousand happy ones. Was that way on all my phone forums. I never order a phone, always buy in store and check it out before I leave. Just a question of waiting or not--:):apple::apple:

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

1- Battery is better than any other iPhone
    2- Lag- only experienced when turning the phone from landscape to portrait while watching a video
    3- Bending: nothing to worry not experienced always in the pocket

The only bother is the sleep/wake button location, I always press the sound controls with the other fingers while trying to lock it's really annoying, I'm right handed and haven't really gotten used to retrain the way of handling the iPhone.

19. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

^^THIS^^

But, it's funny cause I never had button issues. Never thought about it. Hope that doesn't change now--;)

20. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm gonna go check it out. Still kinda worried about the whole #Bendgate stuff though.

21. Babiegurl38 macrumors newbie

Battery life is superior. I use my phone heavily throughout the day and by the evening I'm still at 40% or so. No issues with lagging and I have not updated yet.

22. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Wouldn't worry about bending. That has died down. I came from a 5 inch so had exp with larger phones. Many here came from sub 5 inch to 4 inch. Gotta treat them differently. They are getting bigger and thinner so need to adjust. But I think many still carry in pocket and no issues. I would not put in back pocket and sit on it. Lol

I think you will be fine.

23. asjdwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah defiantly gonna go check it out. I don't think I've ever put a phone in my back pocket lol.

24. Shanghaichica, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have an 6 plus and switched from the S5.

The battery is significantly better on the 6 plus. On my S5 I could get a day with heavy usage on the 6 plus I get 2 days with heavy usage. When I switched I was apprehensive about battery life. From all the reviews I'd heard that the plus had great battery life but I was used to having the option to carry around a spare battery. I don't need a spare with my 6 plus.

Performance is better on the 6 plus. It's faster and smoother. However I didn't have any issues with the S5 performance wise.

I was actually shocked to find that the screen on the 6 plus is better than the screen on the S5. I didn't think that iPS could beat an Amoled display at the same resolution but it did. The note 4 has a better display than the 6 plus though.

I still think that the S5 takes better pictures outside than the 6 plus. However overall the 6 plus has the better camera as it's better in low light and indoors. I do prefer the onboard photo editing software that comes with the S5, but there's other apps that make up for this.

I think in terms of basic fubctionality there isn't much difference between an iPhone and a Galaxy phone. They both can do the same things. You just do them in a different way. Android has more bells and whistles, it just depends on if they are important to you.

I have a long history with both iOS: 2009-2012 (daily driver), secondary devices (2012-2014) and android: 2012-2014 (daily driver), secondary devices (2014-present) so the transition hasn't been a big deal for me.

I think one of the main advantages of using an iPhone is the continuity with other Apple devices (iPad, MacBook air, Apple TV). It doesn't really work as well on android even if you have multiple devices, even from the same manufacturer.

Also I wouldn't worry about it bending. I've had mine for 4 months and it hasn't bent. Just look after it and it will be fine. I don't treat my iPhone any differently to how I treated my S5.