IPhone 6 Plus questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texas_Toast, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

I am looking to buy a refurbished iPhone 6 Plus to use for text-messaging development and demos of mobile-friendly websites that I build.

I figure having an iPhone 6 Plus would be best because it is larger and being an iPhone might make me look more sophisticated to potential customers.

1.) What is a fair price to pay for such a phone?

2.) How can I be reassured it will run on Cricket or possibly AT&T's netowrk?

3.) What can I do to avoid being scammed?

4.) Any known defects or issues that might cause me to buy a lemon?

5.) Never having owned a smart phone before, any other risks or gotchas I should know about before buying a non-new iPhone 6 Plus off the Internet?

Thanks.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Do not buy.

You'll get the Touch Disease.

3. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Visit https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-6-plus-att -- see the recent pricing graph at bottom, etc. You will also get decent buyer protection from Swappa (though things can happen...)

P.S. You may want to consider a 6S Plus, to avoid the issues that many encountered with the 6 Plus (apparently stemming from insufficient RAM.)

4. asv56kx3088 macrumors 6502

Don't get the 6, it's underpowered and lacked enough ram to power the extra pixels, especially with the plus model.

5. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Go for iPhone 6S Plus instead,much faster more ram 3D touch better camera and will last much longer than iPhone 6 plus in long term usage

6. kingston73 macrumors 6502

I have to agree with above, at this point I would NOT buy a 6, pay a little for the 6s model and it will last longer. I traded my 6 for a 7, partly due to the great trade in deal from tmo and partly because of the "touch of death" screen issue the 6 apparently will all get eventually.

Swappa is a great place to buy used from, I've bought a few different things from them and they've all been reliable and in good condition.

7. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Do not waste your hard earned money on a 6+, it's the worst phone Apple has ever designed. Get the 6s+ as they fixed all the issues that were wrong with the original.

8. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

So what would you recommend?

9. alisalem macrumors member

Stay away. Performance is really bad since iOS 9.

10. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Now I am scared...

Are you saying that an iPhone 6 Plus is horrible, but that an iPhone 6S Plus is perfect?

Now I am starting to think that all iPhones are bad...

As stated in my OP, I need an iPhone to...
    1.) Develop and test websites that send text messages to users who have smart phones.

2.) To demo mobile-friendly websites that I am building, and trying to give such a stellar demo that people are willing to pay me to build them a new mobile-friendly website.

I don't know anything about smartphones and especially iPhones. I think an iPhone would be better because of the perceived sophistication over other smart phones.

But I need something that is 100% reliable, because I don't have the time or money to get stuck with a $400-500 phone that acts up. (And I don't want to have to get into warranty situations. I need a phone that works the first time!)

Now I am worried... :(

11. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I have a 6+ that is running IOS10 on it. No problems. It's been a great phone for the two years I've had it. I've never had performance or stability problems with it. It has just worked. I can't guarantee that this is the norm, though I believe most 6+ owners have had similar experiences with their phones.

I also have an iPad3, running IOS9.6.5, and that has been slow and Safari constantly reboots. And Apple has dead ended it in terms of OS support, which I'm not happy about. I mention this to just say that the world of IOS running on Apple devices isn't all great.

But the phone has been just fine.

12. privateryanuk, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

Bizarre that you build mobile-friendly websites, and clearly work with mobile-tech but don't and never had had a smart phone... but each to their own, I'll not judge! :)

An iPhone 6S or 6S+ would be a good purchase. All my colleagues have 6+ (not 's') iPhones via their company, and they're all absolutely fine 2 years in to their lives.

I'm not sure about this 'perceived sophistication' you mention however, there are some equally good Android alternatives - have you looked at a Google (Huawei) Nexus 6P? You might find that significantly cheaper, and no less useful considering the use cases you're suggesting you need the device for.

Buying used, you always take a degree of risk, though I'm sure there are plenty of reputable online and physical retailers who can sell you a refurbished device with some warranty. But for the price of a refurbed iPhone, I'm sure you could get a brand new, equally as good, Android phone that would meet your needs perfectly.

If you're set on an iPhone, buyer beware on refurbished/used or be prepared to pay a premium for new!

Good luck :)

13. born2runak macrumors regular

I've had my 6+ since launch day, and it has been fine for the most part. iOS 10 is starting to make it have some hiccups. (Swipe down text notification start have quite a bit of lag and will freeze if you try to respond to quick)I did just have it replaced through Apple ( with 3 weeks left of Apple care) as it did develop touch disease. I havent had any other issues with it though.

14. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Not really. I have never owned one because in the past I didn't want to get locked into a long-term telecom contract, and because I use my MacBook Pro as my phone using VOIP for next to nothing. Also, designing mobile friendly websites doesn't require a mobile phone for dev - I have just decided to break down and buy one because it will look better when I demo my services to potential clients. I also finally need a way to get text messages, which I unfortunately can't do on my MBP.

What about all of the doom and gloom posts above talking about diseases and what not?

Trust me when I say I am not an Apple fan boy. However, since I just ordered a new 13" retina MBP, it seems that having a large, shiny iPhone would be a more logical presentation, but I hear what you are saying.

It looks like you can't buy a refurbished iPhone from Apple?

That being said, what should I do if I am set on getting an iPhone?

For an iPhone 6S Plus, should I...
    a.) Buy a new one at a retailer - assuming that is possible?
    b.) Buy a refurbished one from a reputable company?
    c.) Buy a used one from either a company or individual off of eBay or somewhere else?

And for each of those scenarios, what would be a reasonable price?

Since I need the ability to receive text messages, I went to a local Cricket store in Dallas this summer and was impressed that they had a no-contract plan that was only maybe $30/month. The kid said they use AT&T's network, so I could use an AT&T based phone or an unlocked phone on their plan to send and receive text messages.

The point being that I don't want to buy an iPhone and then get stuck having in a contract with another provider. So I am not sure how this would relate to my purchase of a new, refurbished, or used iPhone 6S Plus?

Oh, so much to learn!!

15. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

On the doom and gloom point, my 6+ using colleagues (there are 6 of them): none of them have had any problems with their phones, and use them as their daily drivers.

I'm adding some comments inline here - please expand to view ;)

Don't be offended with my comments about you not having succumbed to a smartphone before, I'm impressed that you work in the field and have admirably used alternatives to ply your trade! But yes, having an actual device will be a good demo tool because users will be able to get the 'context' of your sites, rather than just seeing it simulated in emulators etc...

Yes, shiny iPhone would look nice with a MBP, but don't discount things like the Nexus 6P - you can definitely buy a brand new Nexus 6P for the same ball-park price of an iPhone 6+, and you're getting high quality hardware (comparable to Apple build quality), plenty of decent features, similar screen sizes - just check out reviews on MKBHD on youTube and you'll get good insight.

16. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

You're going to pay $400 for an iPhone 6 Plus with no warranty (wellll.....I just sold one on eBay for $380 and it had 6 months Apple warranty left). But anyway, pony up a few extra bucks and buy a brand new 7. It's worth it.

17. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Not offended at all - I just haven't needed one of this silly "gadgets" until now. (I think people are way too obsessed with their smartphones...)

Good point, but I think I'll go for the gold.

I do now see that you can buy the older iPhone 6/6S on Apple's website, but at $649 that sorta hurts. What if I don't like it, or it turns out I can' sell any mobile-friendly websites?! :eek:

What about buying a new iPhone 6S Plus from a non-Apple merchant? For example this one...

http://www.n1wireless.com/apple-iph...e=4&fep=3316&gclid=CNSov8TBss8CFQEuaQodIPQBZg

That would save me $120 on product price, plus likely I wouldn't have to pay sales tax, which is another $40-50 savings.

Originally I wanted to spend $400-500, and now I feel torn whether I should pony up more to get a brand new iPhone 6S Plus from Apple and have no worries, or take a lesser route?

If I can get some new customers because of a shiny new iPhone and the ability to demo mobile-friendly websites and websites that send text messages to customers (e.g. your car is ready to be picked up), then I don't mind spending the $$$. But if I have product issues or it turns out to not help me sell my newly expanded services/capabilities, then I will feel like a fool... :oops:

Of course I realize you all can't comment on my work, but I am teetering on what is the best Apple iPhone purchase to make.

Ideas?

18. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

The best iPhone purchase to make has three dimensions; A) the best iPhone for you/your circumstances, B) the best iPhone currently available C) Cost/available budget

The easiest answer is to say go and buy an iPhone 7 Plus since it's currently the most technically advanced/new iPhone sold, but clearly that destroys dimension C for you because it's $769 which is nearly twice your original budget. Since budget is a high factor, that pretty much shuts down focusing on B - so what we have to do is whittle down until we reach a sweet spot.

Firstly, your use cases suggest it's for showing websites/online content, and since you've made do with a non-smartphone before, it's seemingly like the smallest storage capacity device is going to be ok for you (it's definitely not for most) - that helps put us in the cheaper price bracket.

If you were prepared to pay 'up to' $500, then the N1Wireless 16GB Plus at $529 is not much of a stretch.

That said, a cursory search on trustpilot.com seems to suggest that N1Wireless are not particularly reputable - so I'd personally avoid them as, even though paying by credit card will grant you protection, it might just end up in hassle.

eBay is a similar story, but plenty of protection and it's fairly transparent.

Apple directly don't sell 16GB 6s Plus anymore, so you can only go for 32GB 6s Plus at $649 - so a full $150 more than your initial budget.

In the UK, we have many places in the towns/cities that sell refurbed phones (Game, CeX to name a couple) - I don't know if you have that in the US? If you do - that would be my first point of call. Else you've got to decide personally if you can stretch for the brand new 6s Plus from Apple direct, or go for eBay.

Phones don't hold their value particularly well, but worst comes to worst, you can always sell it on (on eBay) after a while if it doesn't work out and make back a bit of the outlay - so it's not the worst gamble you can take.

19. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Thanks for taking so much time to help me think through this!

Good analysis.

Correct.

Thanks for the link to www.trustpilot.com and the warning - I will definitely avoid them!

I agree.

Yeah, I was eyeing the $649 phone. If I didn't have to pay sales tax and S&H I'd likely buy it, but those two things would easily push the cost over $700!

Can you make videos with an iPhone 6S Plus?

How good or bad is the camera in an iPhone 6S Plus?

Another way I could justify buying a more expensive camera is if I could double-up and use it to take pictures and videos out on the street.

For another project of mind, I often need to capture "stealth" photos - maybe of a business behaving badly - and would love to have a mini-camera of shorts with me at all times.

I was considering getting a GoPro camera, but could I use an iPhone 6S Plus to accomplish a similar thing? (I understand neither is going to be as good as a digital SLR, but then again, it is hard to take photos in Wal-Mart or when you get pulled over by a cop with a digital SLR and still avoid getting in major trouble!)

20. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

Road trip to DELAWARE?! No sales tax.. ha

Yes you can make EXCELLENT videos with the iPhone, in 4K at 30 and 60 frames per second. So basically a very excellent high resolution video recorder indeed.

The camera from a 'stills' perspective is typically rated as 'Excellent' and in the upper echelons of mobile phone cameras on the market today. Bested only by the top-end Samsung phones, HTC 10 and of course the iPhone 7.

An iPhone 6S+ is not going to be a particularly discreet camera in terms of size, however wandering around a shop with one is not going to attract attention because they're ubiquitous in day-to-day use - plenty of people wander about holding a phone in shops, in the street, in restaurants - in fact having a GoPro in your hand in those kinds of settings is more likely to draw attention to you than having an iPhone these days.

21. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Yeah, and only $500 in gas! :p

So how would it compare with the entry-level (or the high-end) GoPro cameras?

I don't need to do videos of me jumping off a cliff, but it might come in handy for reporting consumer issues, or traffic stops, or doing a low-budget interview with the owner of a business who I do a website for. (Maybe I could use it to do a 30-second spot of the owner introducing himself and telling people why they should visit his store and website?)

And does it work in lower light, like inside on a dark winter day?

So these are good enough to publish on a website or possibly even use for a business's website? (Like one of my potential clients)

Better than when I walk in with my digital SLR! :)

If I felt that a new iPhone 6S Plus would have a decent video recording and picture taking capabilities, then I could justify going out of my original budget and buy the iPhone as w.) a way to demo mobile-friendly websites, 2.) a way to demo receiving text messages from a website, 3.) a man-in-the-field camera, and 4.) a man-in-the-field video recorder to do low-budget videos of my clients.

What do you think about all of that?

Obviously even the new iPhone 7 can't compete with a dedicated digital video recorder or a digital SLR, but I am hoping maybe an iPhone 6S Plus could serve multiple purposes to help me grow my business, and save money on the purchase of a GoPro which I have been toying with...

Thoughts?

22. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

The camera is very well regarded... Apple even use the pictures people take on iPhones in their marketing and blow the pictures up to billboard size.

Check out Lisa's review on Mobiletechreview on the device - she always does the fairest, most detailed and objective reviews out there in my opinion

After watching that, there is literally nothing you won't know about the iPhone 6s+.

The big cliche at the moment is 'the best camera you have is the camera you have on you', and the iPhone camera has always been a good camera and I for one always have my phone on me.

The iPhone has always been knocking boots with the best phone cameras out there, and in many cases dedicated compacts. With the iPhone 7, they've made inroads in to upping the game yet further to kick about in SLR territory - obviously they're far short of the full capabilities of a pro single-lens reflex camera, but they're making a good attempt at blurring the lines and achieving similar results to the untrained eye in even some of the most complex photography settings.

All the 4 things you mention in your post the later generation iPhones can do without breaking a sweat with very impressive results. I think you would go not far wrong. My only objective point is there's nothing the iPhone 6S+ can do that the Nexus 6P can't (or in fact a good handful of other smartphone alternatives).

That said, the 'what you need' question is answered (most top-end smartphones can do what you want), so now it's on to 'what you want' - if you want an iPhone more than a Nexus or other Andorid device, and are happy to pony up a bit more money to get into Apple's ecosystem, then do it! I think either way, you'll not go far wrong, and will be able to achieve all the things you want to achieve.

Good luck! Hope business booms!

23. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Any idea how much longer iPhone 6S Plus's will be available for sale on Apple's website?