iPhone 6 Plus: Really Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maniamac, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Maniamac macrumors member

Apparently I'm king of really strange Apple bugs (I've too often heard from AppleCare, "Wow, that's...weird.")

My iPhone 6 Plus is resetting itself. Occasionally when it does so, it gets stuck in a reset loop, showing the Apple logo and then a backlit black screen, followed by the Apple logo, and so on. If I have it plugged in when it's in one of these loops, I'll hear the charging chime sound every so often. But whenever the phone is again usable, my fingerprint unlocks the phone still--so evidently the phone isn't actually fully resetting. It's reminiscent of the iOS 7 bug where iOS devices were "resetting" themselves.

In my case, however, I found my iPhone in a reset loop that even a hard reset wouldn't fix--and I don't recall that ever happening with that infamous iOS 7 bug. I thought putting the phone in Recovery Mode was in order.

But then I thought of the fact that when I put iOS 8 on my iPad Air (that's right, my iPad), I couldn't get iCloud Keychain to turn on, and the iCloud preferences pane would often freeze. Also, I had been using the same four-digit passcode on my iPad and iPhone. On a hunch, I turned off the passcode on my iPad. My iPhone sprang back to life.

I noticed that my iPhone was still resetting itself every once in a while, though not nearly as often as before.

But any time my iPhone gets in one of those reset loops, if I turn my iPad Air off, the reset loop will shortly end and again my iPhone will be usable. Then if I turn my iPad Air back on, it itself is unresponsive for several minutes.

Apparently my iPhone and iPad are in conflict with each other. Bizarre. Unless it's just a big coincidence, which I guess is possible--sometimes there's streaks in randomness.

I guess really the main reason why I am posting is this: Is anybody else experiencing similar behavior with their iOS device with iOS 8?

2. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Saw my 6+ do that earlier when the battery died. I plugged it into my computer to charge and when it came back on, the Apple logo came on and it vibrated for a second like normal, then it did it again and it kept looping over and over. Plugged it into a wall outlet and seemed fine after that. Weird stuff.

3. Maniamac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. Yes, very weird stuff. If it's actually the case that my iPhone and iPad are in conflict with each other somehow, that would probably point to a bug in iOS 8. But if it's not the case, I wonder whether it's some other bug in iOS 8 that Apple needs to fix, a problem that would be resolved with an Erase and Install of iOS 8 without restoring from backup (something I'd like to avoid--I have many, many apps all arranged in folders), or a hardware problem.

I'll call Apple tomorrow if it's still happening.

Anybody else have an iPhone 6/6 Plus resetting itself?