iPhone 6 Plus scaling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omro, Sep 25, 2014.

1. omro macrumors regular

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It is true as noted by several reputable sites. And yes, it taxes the GPU (I've noticed slightly choppy animations on 6 Plus compared to the iPhone 6).

3. omro, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

omro thread starter macrumors regular

Is this a permanent thing or just a "get it out the door" quick cludge?

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I reckon the choppiness probably stems more from upscaling rather than downscaling. :rolleyes:

5. PTLove macrumors 6502

Permanent. iOS isn't resolution independent. 2208x1242 is the resolution for 3x assets which the phone uses. My assumption is the phone was supposed to be that resolution but it never worked out. I'd assume future revisions will just adopt the native resolution.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Permanent, Apple would need to put in a better GPU (i.e. the A8X - that the iPads will get).

7. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It already renders things at the higher resolution so its the same as if they actually had a screen of that resolution on the phone. It just doesn't look as good.

8. omro thread starter macrumors regular

Does it have any real world issue that is "that" noticeable?

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah I have no idea what causes it. All I know is that the end result is the choppiness. It's nothing major but it reminds me of Android devices rather than Apple's buttery-smooth UI.

10. PTLove macrumors 6502

No. Almost certainly you won't notice now, and you probably won't notice when they eventually make the newer models native either. The PPI is very high already and the scaling, while not 1:1, is a decent multiple so works pretty cleanly.

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

It's downsampling, not scaling. OR scaling DOWN, which is a very different thing from the norm which is scaling UP. Quite the difference. Like when you watch a 1080p video on a 720p screen. Looks just great. Unlike watching a 720p video or reading 720p text on a 1080p screen. THAT'S the "bad" scaling, and looks like crap.

12. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Hard to say. I believe it was said there was a hardware scaler which could potentially take away any penalty.

Any chopping could be the result of software.

Down scaling is usually easier then up. I'd think running older iOS applications that aren't running at the correct resolution would run choppier.

Also keep in mind that the Apple A7 is in the current iPad and run fairly well there with a lower end chipset.

We will see.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Don't forget the A7 in the iPad Air is clocked at the same speed as the Iphone 6 plus and iPads usually have gpu speed increased as well.

14. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Very true as well.

I'd love to get some clarification on this.

If the entire system is rendering above the native screen resolution then Apple would have to be using a very very effective scaler to make all of it work without any lag.

I haven't noticed any noticeable issues on my 6 Plus outside of the normal system quirkiness on new hardware.

The issues I've seen appear to be very specific to the OS needing some additional tuning. Things like the keyboard doesn't snap to the right orientation when rotated. Or occasionally third party keyboards don't come up quickly when going into a text field.

We will see.

15. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I just wish Apple allowed the IPhone plus to use ipad applications and be more similar to the iPad for tasks...

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Sure does appear that it does render above the native res and scale down, considering screen shots are larger than 1080p

17. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Apples stuff is mostly in line with iPad like experiences.

Third party developers have the tools in their hands.

This is all expectations though.

Panic has done a really good job of at least having things scale properly. Omnigroup desperately needs to update their apps.

----------

Rendering at a higher resolution and scaling down is a trivial task compared to up scaling smaller I ages for. Much larger screen.

I'd make a vague guess and say that apps updated for Plus would run smoothly. Apps that aren't using the new resolution is probably getting up Up Scaled then Down Scaled.

All speculation though.

It is worth nothing though that the plus does paper to have higher performance then the standard plus.

I'm curious to red and Anandtech's review