iPhone 6 Plus Screen pops out of frame PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Reach9, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

So i just noticed my iPhone 6 Plus screen slightly pops out of the frame between the sleep/wake button and the SIM slot. You can feel the difference when you run your finger between the screen and the side of the phone.

It's just like this video, except my phone is black.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9z10FdMg_Y

I'm thinking of going to the Apple store, but i wanted to know something. How many times can i get a phone replaced by Apple included in the 1 year warranty? If it's only once then i'm thinking of holding off on getting it replaced until something really bad happens and then getting it get replaced for the screen-popping-out-of-the-frame issue.

What do you guys think?

2. declandio macrumors 6502

They'll replace it as many times as Is necessary as long as the warranty is still valid.

3. Hoyboy macrumors regular

You can replace it as many times as you want until you find one without any issues.

If you are within the first 14 days of purchase you can exchange it for a brand new phone.

4. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Thanks!

Whats the difference between replacing it and exchanging it for a brand new phone? Are the replacements refurbished?

I'm not within the first 14 days of purchase, but i was just wondering.

5. Hoyboy macrumors regular

To be honest this early on they are still new phones. Generally after a month or 2 warranty replacements tend to be reconditioned phones. They are basically as good as new however and just come in a slim white box on their own.

If you were to exchange it you get a brand new phone in a brand new sealed box with brand new accessories.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 601

The difference between return/exchange and the replacement is that. YOu just return the device (including the package) and exchange for a brand new one (This also resets your return period). If you go through the genius for a replacement they usually hand out refurb units, but still the casing is new, battery is new and the screen will be new. That's what refurb is.

Technically speaking, it's still too early for Apple hand out refurbs as a replacement unit so I would not be concerned about receiving a refurb unit. I got mine replaced yesterday through the genius bar and AFAIK, I checked the serial and it was made in week 37 (Week of September 8). They may have a separate line for making replacement devices at the foxconn factory.

Since you are outside of the 14 days return window you will just have to go with the replacement unit.

7. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Thanks for the clarification guys! I had no idea that replacement devices were refurbished.

I'll go ahead and get a genius bar appointment asap and get my phone replaced with a new one.

@Shadowbech How long did you have to wait to get your 6 Plus replaced? I'm afraid I won't get my replacement on the same day. Will I be able to keep my current phone until the store receives a replacement? Because i do a lot of work on my 6 Plus. My model is a 64GB Space Gray.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I got my replaced on the spot same day. They typically replace the unit same day. If they were out of replacement, I think they may have you come back next time or contact you (I don't know, you would have to ask them). But I'm sure they will have plenty.

9. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I'm not sure it's wise to hold out for a worse problem, because they might assume the screen popping out issue is related to damage you caused if, say, you drop the phone and ding it up.

10. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Makes sense, thanks!

I didn't think about that, you're right. I'm going to get it replaced asap.

11. nero1001 macrumors newbie

I had my phone replaced last week for this exact same issue as advised by Apple when I called customer services. They weren't aware of a large scale problem but insisted I get the handset replaced. Had to visit an Apple Store and see a genius but all went smoothly and an on the spot replacement was given.

Mine had lifted on the opposite side near the mute rocker switch and went about half way down the length of the phone (6+)