iPhone 6 Plus Screen Sensitivity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cactus3, Apr 20, 2015.

1. cactus3 macrumors member

Anyone else feel like the iPhone 6 Plus screen is more... sensitive?

A LOT more sensitive, in fact.

I've been using iPhones for years - never had a single scratch, or crack. I've dropped those phones many times on accident and never had a problem.

Yet, with the iPhone 6 plus I noticed scratches immediately, as well as 2 cracks!

2. eortizr macrumors member

The 6+ glass is a magnet for micro scratches, my phone has been on a flip case since day one, but when looking closely you will see a bunch of micro scratches on it...

My previous phone was an LG G3, it was without case or screen protector for over 4 months, not a single micro scratch at the time of getting rid of it.

The 6+ glass is definetely weak

3. cactus3 thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I had an Apple store employee tell me it was weaker, and then another one practically spit in my face and tell me it's my fault, and that whoever told me that was an idiot because the glass is "exactly the same if not better"

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

On my 6 the screen is much less sensitive to touch. Much less.

5. cactus3 thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty interesting. I haven't really noticed anything about touch - other than activating the paste feature is almost impossible (haven't taken the new update yet, so I don't know if they've fixed that). It's almost as if it doesn't register you pressing the screen.

By sensitivity though, I meant getting scratched easily.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

How do you think the two cracks got there?:rolleyes:

As far as micro scratches, much depends on what you use to clean your phones screen. I have owned the 6+ from introduction and have no cracks and if I have micro scratches , I do not notice them.

You admit that you drop your phones "many times". This could be the cause.

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

My 6 Plus is fine but I read a lot of threads here and on AD about people complaining that this generation screen is a little more sensitive.

Weird, it should be better than the 5 series because it is ION-X strengthened.

9. cactus3 thread starter macrumors member

Possibly?? But the scratches are pretty deep - it looks like it's the glass.

I meant the older phones :D I've always been a little scared about the iPhone 6+'s sensitivity (ever since the whole bending thing) so I try my best to be extra delicate. Those older iPhones I had for 2 years at a time, and let's face it - everyone drops their phones at some point. It's not like I was purposely throwing my phone down on the ground. Those suckers had slipped out of my hand and onto hard tile floors without even a scratch. It had gotten to the point where whenever I heard about someone's iPhone being cracked I thought it was a myth!

Since I got my iPhone 6+ (Christmas), I don't think I've dropped it. It had gotten knocked off of a coffee table and onto a carpet floor, but I don't think it'd crack from that.

The only real difference that I've done with my phone, is I haven't gotten a case for it (I really only ever used simple cases for the back).

I don't know about that, but whatever they did I've noticed a difference.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My 4s seemed the most indestructible with the front glass. My 5 had a few scratches after a year. My 6+ had a few micro scratches after a month of ownership. I opted for a zagg glass protector to help extend its life.

I too wonder if it's just the coating --- my fingernail clicks when I cross the scratch (as if it was a glass scratch) but it's really only visible in direct sunlight.

After a few months my zagg invisishield glass protector has a ton of micro scratches - but again, only visible in direct sunlight.

11. whatos macrumors 6502a

Conversely I have this to share:

The "micro scratches" you're seeing, if the same as I and some of my colleagues experience are the same, they're not scratches at all. That's the good news.

On our 6 and 6 Plus models a microfiber cloth only makes them worse, completely the opposite of what we're used to. A warm water dampened terrycloth towel will wipe the appearance of scratches right off.

I'm very picky and can assure you my iPhone 6 Plus which has never had a screen protector is as perfect and scratch free as day one. A phone that sees very heavy usage.

12. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

I just sold my 6 to get a 6+ and although my iPhone 6 was in MINT condition, when looking closely at the display, there was a TON of little tiny micro scratches on the display. So to say that one phone will generate more scratches than the other might be a bit of a stretch?

13. cactus3 thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, I wonder if it has something to do with the size of the phone? Maybe that's a bit of a stretch though.

That's great! I'm hoping the smaller ones aren't really scratches, but they're not obvious so I don't mind them as much as the actual cracks. This is good news for everyone though.

I can't really vouch for the 6 - I only have the 6+, and most people that I know got the bigger model too.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The 5 series was ion exchanged glass as well, and so was the 4 series and other models before it. That's basically what Gorilla Glass and similar formulations are. The iPhone 6 broke no new ground here. All Apple did was apply a marketing term to make people think this was something new (particularly after all the sapphire screen rumors).