iPhone 6 Plus should have a smart case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplePhy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Many first hand impressions of the device are referring the 6+ as a 'mini' iPad mini. As such, was thinking...it would be perfect if Apple had a smart case for the phone like it does for the iPad mini (and of course for the iPad Air).

I would much rather buy this over the uninspired and way too costly native cases currently offered by apple for the iPhone 6/6+.

Anyone know of any third party case makers who offer a mini Smart Cover for the 6+???

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Huh? :confused:

A smart case needs to have the software feature built into the OS it uses to work ala Samsung with their Galaxy line.

Apple did not build any sort of feature into iOS for a 'smart' case, so how would any 3rd party manufacturer even make one that actually works?

3. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Pretty sure there will be wallet style cases available, but none will have the auto sleep function that the iPads have. Those are activated with a magnet, and the iPhone 6 doesn't have that. I'd love to have one just like the leather smart case I have for my iPad. I love just opening the front and not having to swipe to open the phone...

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

The iPhone 6 Plus should have a lot of things that it doesn't.

5. 617aircav Suspended

What do you mean SHOULD? It's considerably smaller than the mini. Calling it a mini mini is ridiculous.

6. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

Im talking about the smart cases that Apple currently offers for the iPad mini (and iPad Air). I'm not sure what you mean when you say this 'feature' needs to be built in to iOS. The iOS is the same for the iPads and for the iPhone. It's just a cover that protects the screen???

The current smart case for the iPads only cover the device, and when lifted, turn on the device via magnetic closures. The same iOS that the iPhone uses??? What needs to then be 'built' in as you say into iOS?

All I'm saying is because the 6+ is now so big and encroaching on tablet territory, it would be nice to have a Smart Cover offered for it as well. I plan on using my 6+ Much like I did for my iPad mini, and I always used the Smart Cover to protect the screen, and to prop up the device in landscape mode for watching videos.

7. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

The magnets themselves don't do the job alone. There have to be sensors inside the device to detect the presence of the magnets. The iPhone doesn't have these sensors.

I think the problem would be hardware, not software, but That's just my guess.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The facial detection sensor may work instead of magnets.

9. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Ah, see wishing for a feature to exist is different than you asking earlier if there were any 3rd party manufacturers that make a smart case (not possible for the iPhone).

As for the feature, it would be nice if they included it for sure as I like it too... but you know Apple :rolleyes: always be ready for disappointment.

10. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

iPhone 6+ shouldn't have even existed in the first place.

Don't get me wrong though I respect people buying it and I'm not trying to badmouth them but in my humble opinion Apple just shouldn't have made it.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

12. Glene, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Glene macrumors 6502

ignore the haters...I would like a smartcover too for the 6+...it can turn off with the 2 min auto off for all I care...you can be guaranteed someone will do it within 6 months, there are too many that are going to try and use the 6+ to do the duty of the iphone 5 and ipad rMini (like me)

looks like 12south will do it:

http://www.twelvesouth.com/product/surfacepad-for-iphone