Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Dear Members

I noticed that the iPhone 6 Plus sound quality is superior to the iPod Nano 6 Gen
I have good quality headphones and the difference is very noticeable. Perhaps the iPhone 6 Plus amplifies the sound better (more power?)

Unfortunately, I realised this and now I prefer to train at the gym with my iPhone instead of the Nano

Wonder whether the iPhone 6 Plus quality of sound is much better or perhaps I have a defective Nano.

I also would like to know whether the new Nanos quality of sound is similar to the one that iPhone 6 plus has

Thanks for your help

iOS909

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I noticed a definite improvement in sound quality on my 6+ compared to my iPod Classic, and even my old 5s, everything just sounds so much clearer, so they have definitely upgraded the amp/dac or whatever it is in the 6.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Same here.
I take my iPod shuffle(Sounds exactly like a 6G nano) to the gym but my phone(6 plus) has a better quality,audio is notably clearer.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
There's an absolute difference. I currently have in my family everything that can play music apple wise. From older iPhones to Nanos, classics, touch, iPads etc. I did A/B testing with the same ear buds with the same song, same eq setting, same volume. The difference is immediate, they absolutely gave attention to the sound in the 6+
What I don't know is if the 6 got the same treatment. This is surely a notable upgrade they did not highlight.

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Dear Members

I noticed that the iPhone 6 Plus sound quality is superior to the iPod Nano 6 Gen
I have good quality headphones and the difference is very noticeable. Perhaps the iPhone 6 Plus amplifies the sound better (more power?)

Unfortunately, I realised this and now I prefer to train at the gym with my iPhone instead of the Nano

Wonder whether the iPhone 6 Plus quality of sound is much better or perhaps I have a defective Nano.

I also would like to know whether the new Nanos quality of sound is similar to the one that iPhone 6 plus has

Thanks for your help

Of course there will be a vast difference between the two devices. The iPod nano (sixth generation) has a DAC that may be designed as early as 2009 and the iPhone 6 Plus has a DAC that may be designed as early as 2013.

I happen to have both the iPhone 6 Plus and a seventh generation iPod nano and there's still an improvement between the sound quality even though the 7th gen nano has the best sound card yet in the iPod nano lineup.

I'd still prefer to train with the iPod than my iPhone because of the size & weight differences.

The only thing I miss on my nano now that I use my iPhone for music listening is that the nano's volume has 32 knob increments vs 16 on my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.