iPhone 6 Plus Structural Deficiency Due to a Late-Stage Change From Sapphire to Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportello, Sep 24, 2014.

1. sportello macrumors member

I know a lot of people around here are getting really tired of these threads about bending, but, even if it's very slight, it's manifested in a number of early adopters' phones, including my own. The bend is not so noticeable as to be a problem - I'm not even mad - but, trying something like this, it undoubtedly is shown to exist.

So, aluminum is very soft, and I think this kind of thing is to be anticipated, as phones are exposed to all sorts of mishandling. My question is, following months of rumors suggesting a sapphire face, was Apple counting on a harder sapphire cover to keep the structure rigid? I understand why they would end up using glass, since the Apple Watch, cameras and Touch ID sensors are probably straining their supply at the moment, but it begs the question - was this a late-stage oversight?

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't think so. The glass is deliberately bendy. Using the glass as structural support is just asking for it to shatter in a device like this.

3. sportello thread starter macrumors member

I've seen a lot of people cite sapphire as more rigid though. Just thinking it may have alleviated some problems in prototypes.