iPhone 6 Plus Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nonentity, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Nonentity macrumors member

Hello!

Apologies for the general issue question, but it's beginning to irritate me.

What's your success rate with Touch ID on the 6 Plus?

I've had mine since launch and I'm getting the 'try again' message 2 out of 3 times when trying to unlock my phone. I skipped the 5s, so is this normal? I've tried adding the finger I use to unlock as a new finger and I'm still having a trouble getting Touch ID to work consistently.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ematsui macrumors member

I would say my plus is about 99 percent accurate.. when my finger is wet it sometimes doesn't recongnize it

3. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

about 99% success rate here too, maybe its an issue with the phone? if its that poor a success rate take it into apple and show them.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

5. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

i have had mine since launch and I am starting to have more "try again's" as well...:eek:

6. Nonentity thread starter macrumors member

Ah phooey. Guess I need to make an appointment, though knowing my luck it'll work flawlessly in front of them.

Are Apple handing out white boxed referbs yet?

7. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

You might want to try to have it relearn your fingerprint.

I have been using the Touch ID since the 5s and it seems to work pretty well.
    The 5s was probably about a 95% success rate and my 6 is closer to the 99%

8. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that my 6 works much better than my 5s, especially if my finger is wet.

----------

Try and set all 5 finger prints as your thumb and see if it works better.

And no, they're not giving out refurbs yet. :p

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Mine is highly accurate as well but I did notice that the few times it didn't work was when I pressed my finger a little too hard and consequently spreading my fingerprint more?
    so when I press very very lightly, it seems to work almost 100% of the time.
    Try re-setting all your prints and the only pressing very lightly.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

MUCH improved over my 5s. I have issues with dry skin on my fingertips when the weather gets cold, and some of fingers were completely unreadable on the 5s because of it. The 6 Plus is reading all of my fingers fine. I count only two "try agains" since I've had it (September 25).

11. Nonentity thread starter macrumors member

I've tried removing and adding multiple times, over-training it, and adding my main unlocking thumb as two different fingerprints.

Despite all that I still have a poor success rate.

12. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I am having a very high success rate n my 6 Plus, I was actually surprised. After reading all the stories about people having trouble with the 5s I was a little concerned. I have mine programmed for my right and left thumbs and index fingers and have the high success rate with all four, I love it!

Hope you get your issue fixed. Like others have said, maybe try deleting all the fingers and starting over from scratch.

13. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I would say 98-99 percent success rate for me.

I would advise deleting the prints and store again. But only move your finger, thumb a very small amount (between scans) as you lift it off and place it back on during the print storing. This is how I set my 5s and 6 Plus up, and both have worked pretty near perfect. If anything, I find the Touch ID on the 6 Plus is more reliable than the 5s.

14. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Go get it replaced. Seems like a faulty sensor. Had a 5s with same issue. Got it replaced and was smooth after that. My 6 plus is 99% accurate.

15. Geo1688 macrumors newbie

16. troyhouse macrumors 6502

mine is like 99.999% accurate, i dont remember when i had to use passcode, unless i restarted the phone.

17. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Like many people here, I get a nearly 99% success rate with Touch ID on my 6 Plus. The only time it's failed me was when my right index finger stopped working completely. I figure it was due to an error during the initial logging of the fingerprint, so I deleted it and redid it. Haven't had any problems since.

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Pfft, 100% success rate here. Suck it 99%ers.

19. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Same here, only time I noticed a problem was after I had just eaten popcorn (fingers were greasy).

Went from 5 to 6 Plus so this is my first time with Touch ID, I always thought it was gimmicky but man, it is my favorite feature by far on this new phone.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Mine is scary good. In fact it works so well I unlock it by accident. Can't even get a screen shot of the lock screen it's so quick

21. web500sjc macrumors member

I've had mine relearn mine 4 times in the weeks since launch....apple is now replacing it because it doesn't work 60% of the time- and that is unacceptable when I can get it to register on any other iPhone.

I tried to show them in an apple store- it worked flawlessly. But now I have video, and applecare on the phone.

22. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Let us know if the replacement is better

23. ama0219 macrumors member

I agree. Mine usually works unless my thumb is wet.

24. dannyboy42670 macrumors newbie

I find that on my 5S, if my fingers are sweaty on a warm day it will never work. Otherwise it's flawless.