iPhone 6 Plus Touch ID

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Hello!

Apologies for the general issue question, but it's beginning to irritate me.

What's your success rate with Touch ID on the 6 Plus?

I've had mine since launch and I'm getting the 'try again' message 2 out of 3 times when trying to unlock my phone. I skipped the 5s, so is this normal? I've tried adding the finger I use to unlock as a new finger and I'm still having a trouble getting Touch ID to work consistently.

Any help would be appreciated!

ematsui

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Hello!

I've had mine since launch and I'm getting the 'try again' message 2 out of 3 times when trying to unlock my phone. I skipped the 5s, so is this normal? I've tried adding the finger I use to unlock as a new finger and I'm still having a trouble getting Touch ID to work consistently.

I would say my plus is about 99 percent accurate.. when my finger is wet it sometimes doesn't recongnize it

ant69

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Hello!

about 99% success rate here too, maybe its an issue with the phone? if its that poor a success rate take it into apple and show them.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Hello!

i have had mine since launch and I am starting to have more "try again's" as well...:eek:

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Yep 99% sounds about right.
Ah phooey. Guess I need to make an appointment, though knowing my luck it'll work flawlessly in front of them.

Are Apple handing out white boxed referbs yet?

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
You might want to try to have it relearn your fingerprint.

I have been using the Touch ID since the 5s and it seems to work pretty well.
The 5s was probably about a 95% success rate and my 6 is closer to the 99%

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I would say my plus is about 99 percent accurate.. when my finger is wet it sometimes doesn't recongnize it
I've noticed that my 6 works much better than my 5s, especially if my finger is wet.

----------

Ah phooey. Guess I need to make an appointment, though knowing my luck it'll work flawlessly in front of them.

Are Apple handing out white boxed referbs yet?
Try and set all 5 finger prints as your thumb and see if it works better.

And no, they're not giving out refurbs yet. :p

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
Mine is highly accurate as well but I did notice that the few times it didn't work was when I pressed my finger a little too hard and consequently spreading my fingerprint more?
so when I press very very lightly, it seems to work almost 100% of the time.
Try re-setting all your prints and the only pressing very lightly.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
MUCH improved over my 5s. I have issues with dry skin on my fingertips when the weather gets cold, and some of fingers were completely unreadable on the 5s because of it. The 6 Plus is reading all of my fingers fine. I count only two "try agains" since I've had it (September 25).

Nonentity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
You might want to try to have it relearn your fingerprint.

I have been using the Touch ID since the 5s and it seems to work pretty well.
The 5s was probably about a 95% success rate and my 6 is closer to the 99%
I've tried removing and adding multiple times, over-training it, and adding my main unlocking thumb as two different fingerprints.

Despite all that I still have a poor success rate.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I am having a very high success rate n my 6 Plus, I was actually surprised. After reading all the stories about people having trouble with the 5s I was a little concerned. I have mine programmed for my right and left thumbs and index fingers and have the high success rate with all four, I love it!

Hope you get your issue fixed. Like others have said, maybe try deleting all the fingers and starting over from scratch.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Hello!

I would say 98-99 percent success rate for me.

I would advise deleting the prints and store again. But only move your finger, thumb a very small amount (between scans) as you lift it off and place it back on during the print storing. This is how I set my 5s and 6 Plus up, and both have worked pretty near perfect. If anything, I find the Touch ID on the 6 Plus is more reliable than the 5s.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Go get it replaced. Seems like a faulty sensor. Had a 5s with same issue. Got it replaced and was smooth after that. My 6 plus is 99% accurate.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
mine is like 99.999% accurate, i dont remember when i had to use passcode, unless i restarted the phone.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Like many people here, I get a nearly 99% success rate with Touch ID on my 6 Plus. The only time it's failed me was when my right index finger stopped working completely. I figure it was due to an error during the initial logging of the fingerprint, so I deleted it and redid it. Haven't had any problems since.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Same here, only time I noticed a problem was after I had just eaten popcorn (fingers were greasy).

Went from 5 to 6 Plus so this is my first time with Touch ID, I always thought it was gimmicky but man, it is my favorite feature by far on this new phone.

web500sjc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
I've had mine relearn mine 4 times in the weeks since launch....apple is now replacing it because it doesn't work 60% of the time- and that is unacceptable when I can get it to register on any other iPhone.

I tried to show them in an apple store- it worked flawlessly. But now I have video, and applecare on the phone.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I've had mine relearn mine 4 times in the weeks since launch....apple is now replacing it because it doesn't work 60% of the time- and that is unacceptable when I can get it to register on any other iPhone.

I tried to show them in an apple store- it worked flawlessly. But now I have video, and applecare on the phone.
Let us know if the replacement is better