iPhone 6 Plus Vertical Viewing Angle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Mar 23, 2015.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Just noticed this on my replacement phone, and now I can't remember if this happened on my previous one:

When viewing the phone normally, as in vertically, and looking at a predominantly white screen, the viewing angle tend to suffer a little more compared to viewing it horizontally.

The whites tend to 'grey out' immediately when turning the phone slightly to left or right when vertical. When it's on horizontal, the whites stay as white and not grey out until at a very steep angle.

Again, I'm saying that this happens on a screen with lots of white only. It is not as noticeable on an otherwise colourful screen.

I'm thinking this is due to the limitation of the LCD technology, and Apple choosing to limit the vertical viewing angle as opposed to the horizontal, say for movie viewings' sake, is the only way to go.

Does yours exhibit this?

2. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

I checked mine, trying to observe what you described and can't really see any difference in the tone of a white screen. Either mine is not doing it or my eyes aren't sensitive to the change. What I do see though is a decrease in brightness. Here's a link to a good analysis of the iPhone 6 and 6+ screens by display mate. They're reporting a screen display brightness reduction at viewing angles at about 30 degrees which is pretty consistent with what I'm seeing on mine.
    http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I should have said 'brightness reduction' instead of a change on tone, sorry. Thank you for chiming in. I now know I'm not alone on this. :)