iPhone 6 Plus - Video Recording Strange Waves

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJTaurus, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

When i record on 240fps and only in low light conditions i noticed some strange waves (like trembling) on the screen.... is that normal?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yes. The higher the frame rate, more light is required to make the video look normal. So, if you use Slow-Mo 240fps indoors, you'll notice the video pulsating. If you film outside in the daylight, it is less noticeable.

In my opinion, 240fps should have came with a lens with a larger aperture (which is why I think Apple should have waited to do 240fps with significantly upgraded camera).

3. DrezikFacts macrumors newbie

Those "waves" are not really because of low light. Low light is responsible for noise that you get but not the waves.

Those waves are coming from a fact that you're using a light source that is very likely emitting at frequency of 50Hz (common light bulbs connected directly to a power source).

Your camera shoots faster than your light source is refreshing and you end up with 240 frames in a second which are not filled with light of same power.

4. ashenfang macrumors member

Exactly. If you had a light source that was 240hz, there would be no "pulsating"