iPhone 6 Plus vs DSLR Photo - Test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christurbo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. christurbo macrumors regular

I just came back after taking some photos with my SonyA6000 with a SELP18105G mounted to it. The G lens is quite nice.

I decided to do a rough comparison of my Mirrorless DSLR vs the iPhone 6 Plus I picked up on Friday.

I shot the same scene with both devices. The DSLR shots were at 18mm, 1/200, f/8.0 (very sharp on this lens), ISO 100. The iPhone 6 was straight out of the camera with no altering of exposure etc.

I shot in RAW on the Sony and only adjusted levels slightly post to get similar white balance, etc. Agreed it would have made more sense to shoot in JPEG but I NEVER do it as a rule!

I was shocked at the results!

Both images were sharp, the iPhone had great contrast with a great dynamic range. Obviously they both need some editing to get them the way you would like but as an image straight out the camera the iPhone provided amazing results.

See for yourself.

DSLR:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/slinkyu2/Random/SONYA6000vs-1_zpsed374fb9.jpg~original

iPhone 6 Plus:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/slinkyu2/Random/iPhone6Plusvs_zps58d69e65.jpg~original

2. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

Pretty insane how good cameras this small are nowadays. :) Thanks for posting

3. groovyf macrumors 6502

Was that in HDR mode on the iPhone? It's done a mighty job of not over exposing the sky and clouds.

4. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

No it was not in HDR mode. Loads of detail in the sky.

5. groovyf macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're telling me! Can't wait to take mine out for a proper spin. I always tend to take a shot or two on my iPhone as well as with the 5D MkII

6. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

A jpeg is already a pre-processed image. All this means is that the iPhone has a decent jpeg processing engine!

7. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

As stated I edited the DSLR RAW file to match white balance.

8. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

9. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

I will take some more captures with the iPhone 6+ and work through my editing process before uploading item to Flickr.

Will be interesting what it can produce compared to my DSLR work.

Obviously DOF and bokeh will be a limiting factor. Walkabout would be good though I imagine

10. christurbo thread starter macrumors regular

11. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Your exposure DSLR is a bit off which is why the sky is a bit blown out but I agree, the iP6 photo looks great

12. icrot macrumors newbie

^^^^^
    THIS.

RAW format still rules. you have so much more rooms to adjust the image the way see fit. iphone cam shots is fine for small archive/emails/picture text.