iPhone 6 Plus vs Plus S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty1990, Sep 5, 2015.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Had my 6 Plus since February, and after a slump of me being bored of it, I realised it performs a lot better in games etc than my Android phones have done in the past - this includes a Nexus 6 - and it doesn't appear to be slowing down either.

I was a bit miffed by it the other day when I took it out of my dual layer case (thinking it was receiving adequate protection) and noticed it was bent by the volume keys. After bending it back myself, getting the screen replaced and now having a supposedly more structurally sound case in order I'm pretty happy with it.

With the 6S coming out, I'm not sure if I should, or shouldn't upgrade. I could sell my 6 Plus for a decent amount I reckon, maybe £400ish (?) add the rest and get a 6 Plus S, but I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it.

Other the possible 2GB RAM - which would help in Safari, is there going to be a vast difference in performance? Besides a slightly faster CPU, stronger aluminium (that would've been nice last week), upgraded camera, Force Touch (how useful is that gonna be?) I can't see how much of an upgrade the 6S will be compared to the 6.

And if I'm right, the 6/6 Plus are going to get full versions of iOS 9, so if that's the case I can hold out till the 7... unless I'm missing something and am going to regret not going to the 6S. Either way I could use some opinions.

2. Trahearne, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

Trahearne macrumors 6502

LPDDR4 is rumoured for the upcoming Apple SoCs. Since the industry expects it to land at the highest rate of the initial spec (3200 MT/s), it would double the theoretical system memory bandwidth over what the A8 processor has. Together with the potentially better GPU capabilities in the upcoming chip, there would likely be a huge ride in 3D performance unlike what was in the past two years (stays flat, not bad though).

But if you don't play 3D games a lot, or you are perfectly satisfied by the 3D performance of your phone now, the aforementioned internal change would not be obvious to you, other than perhaps the longer battery life if one assumes the battery capacity is constant.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see much coming from the 6s, though rumors are that it may be a tad thicker and less likely to bend. I generally don't see too much reason going from a non-s model to a s-model and I guess this year isn't any different.

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

In general there's no reason to upgrade after one year at all. Even the 5S to 6 upgrade is not very special. Tad bigger screen and NFC, that's about it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's been my thinking, I was thinking going from 6 to 6s but that's because I'm thinking going from a plus to a non-plus model.

6. TWD98j macrumors regular

I'm 110% sure upgrading to the 6S Plus, but I am coming from a 2 year old 5S in doing so. Had I been part of the 6 cycle last year, I'm not sure I would be going from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus this year.

Last year when the 6 launched, I didn't upgrade because, performance-wise, the jump from a 5S to a 6 wasn't significant enough for me to warrant doing so. Aside from the bigger screen, Apple Pay (which was in its infancy), and VoLTE, there wasn't much difference to speak of, performance wise between the 5S and 6.

Likewise, going from a 6 to a 6S may be considered too shallow for some. Same design/dimensions and internal upgrades may only be considered marginal at best to some. That said, I think that the 6S may be the biggest jump yet for an "S" model iPhone.

7. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Yes, it may be less likely to bend, but the real question is...

... is it less likely to BLEND!?

Let's see if blendtec can get past this stronger aluminum

8. OceanView macrumors 65816

Any chance of a 1080p screen on the non S model?
    the 720p screen on the 6 was not sharp enough for me.

9. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I use my phone daily, 365 days a year. Damn right I'm going to get the best there is.
    I have a brand new 6 Plus unlocked 64GB with nearly 3 months warranty, I should be able to get decent £'s for it, and a few hundred pounds to get it isn't an issue.
    Just upgrade, YOLO haha :apple:

10. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

11. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm umming and aahing.

Say I hold out for the 7. My current 6 Plus will, for all intents and purposes, look exactly the same as the 6S. For 2016, it'll be running the exact the same iOS as the 6S. It'll be a bit slower than the 6S, have a lesser camera different aluminium casing, and a normal touch screen.

But until the 7 comes out, it should perform as well as it does now, just graphically intense games won't run as well as they do on the 6S. But since it's a popular phone, and people are still using the 5S, surely apps won't take full advantage of the 6S extra RAM etc until later into 2016? By which time I'll move onto the 7.

If I'm wrong and the 6S is going to obliterate the 6 and my phone will be outdated in the next month then please say, because I don't know if I should take the plunge and get the 6S.

12. super chimp macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking of going from the 6 to 6S Plus. As I do a lot of browsing & have heard the original has issues in this area because of the lack of RAM.

13. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah if I'm honest this is the only thing that tempts me, but I don't know if I can justify paying out £700-800 on pretty much the exact same phone I have, only it performs a little bit better in terms of games, and stops reloading pages in Safari.

14. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i still owe money on mine. so i cant trade it in. but i want to trade it in if they white list sprint this time around. plus i would like more LTE channels. but for like cpu and force touch, i dunno.

I'm hoping for channel 12. I'm not in a channel 12 area, but a lot of phones don't have it

when i got my 6 plus , i stood in line and we didn't get sprint white listing on day one. and we had to wait a year for verizon to white list us. and after 90 days the sim free unit came out , and i feel bummed. I've told people that if apple would promise me a "sim free" replacement , i would run over the phone with my prius and pay the deductible for it.

as far as outdated on a month, as long as you understand that the unlocked "sim free" will work on all 4 carriers and it has 20 lte channels, if you decide to keep it, or not. thats up to you, but you will never have to buy another iPhone for the rest of your life if you just want to switch carriers.

i feel sorry for all those s4,and s5 and s6 owners out there that have to throw away a perfectly good phone and sign up for 24 month financing just because they want to try sprint.

15. super chimp macrumors 6502a

I am aiming to sell off my iPhone 6, hoping to get a decent price before the new models are out.

16. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a look in eBay, the 64GB Plus - same model as mine - is going for around £400. If I got that, bought the 6S I will have paid, in about 7 months £1100 on iPhones. I could have got the new MacBook for that.