iPhone 6 plus vs Tablet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Dec 21, 2014.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Any iPhone 6 plus owners here that don't use their tablet anymore after buying the iPhone 6 plus?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I tried doing that, but when I am home I grab for the tablet. The 6+ does mean I do not have to bring my tablet outside of the home though since the battey is so good.

IMO, the 6+ can replace a tablet in the sense it has excellent battery. It is still too small to be a tablet though.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It can replace a 5.5" tablet but not a big one.

4. Vejper macrumors member

I have not only replaced my tablet with the 6+ but it is now my only computer and I am loving it.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

My 6 plus and MacBook Air is all I need. I never had a need nor want for an iPad.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I still use my iPad air as well as the iP6+

I don't see either replacing each other in my usage.

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I would imagine if you don't have a laptop you'll still need a tablet for larger screen applications, but I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 sitting around that I haven't touched in a while. If I'm sitting around the house I'd rather have an actual keyboard and windowed interface, and if I'm on the go then a phone I can stick in my pocket works best.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

For some people, the 6 Plus can replace the iPad mini or even the iPad (especially when they find themselves no longer using the latter as much). Not everyone is the same so we can't present anything as a fact.

9. dyt1983, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

10. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

I'd still have to have my tablet/iPad full size. I read a lot of magazines and a screen smaller then the iPad would be too small to be comfortable reading the way magazines are laid out.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I stopped using the tablet completed. Granted, I didn't use it too much prior, but now there is no reason for it. I didn't have any iPad only apps and am perfectly happy with the screen size of the plus.

I have since started using the iPad as a second screen to OSX though. Figure I may as well get something out of it rather than paperwieght staus. :)

12. MiniMi macrumors member

Gave my wife my riPad mine when I got my 6+. No regrets

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I use my iPad about the same, but what I use it FOR has changed.

Basically, I don't carry it with me on my lunch break anymore to read stuff. But it's still useful to me when reading PDFs, or taking notes at meetings.

What kept it useful was MS Office coming out, and then later allowing basic editing for free. Now I do a lot more basic document editing with my iPad.

14. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Same here. My iPad was my go-to consumption device to read news during my bus commute and during lunch. My iPhone 5 was just too small for that.

Now I leave the iPad home and use the 6 plus to catch up on the news. Its just big enough for it, and my favorite news apps - Wall Street Journal and Flipboard are well optimized for the 6 plus screen. Its a heck of a lot more portable to carry around.

At home, its back to the iPad Air 2.

15. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I sold my iPad a while ago to buy some Android device that I no longer own. Had a 6 then found a guy on Craigslist that didn't like the size of the 6 plus and made that swap! That was my biggest reason for wanting a 6 plus. I was tired of the size of my iPad 2 and wanted a mini. The 6 plus is the perfect size for my wants for tablet use and even doubles as my phone to boot!!

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

You must only do very basic things on a computer for an iPad to replace it.

17. Vejper macrumors member

I wouldn't call it basic things.

The stuff I do ex ept for the normal consumer things is that I write alot and also do some coding, mostly php, html & css and the 6+ is perfectly fine for this and it is the only thing I need to carry with me.

18. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

Same here. Got rid of my iPad air and am now in the process of dumping my MacBook Air.

19. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Depends on the tablet.

In ways other than screen size I don't think so. If you do a lot of Internet browsing the 6+ can be infuriating because lack of ram. But if you have a pre iPad air 2 iPad you know what that's like anyway.

If it's something like a windows tablet or maybe a note 10.1 id say no. If it's a nexus 7, then yes.

20. cababah macrumors 68000

I was still using my iPad Air at first when I got my 6+ but slowly started using it less and less. Now, I only use my iPad Air when the 6+ is charging :(

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

when I first got my 6+ I used it more than my iPad mini bc of new toy love. Now I just use my phone more than my 5s when I'm out in public.

22. nateofmelb macrumors regular

nateofmelb

I was thinking of buying an iPad Air 2 or whatever but now that I have my 6 plus I don't think there is any need now.

23. cababah macrumors 68000

Especially since the Air 2 can't really do anything that the 6+ can't (multi-tasking, etc).

24. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Well for me even though they can do the same things, using the 6+ in bed or the couch versus an Air 2 wouldn't even be a close comparison. I wouldn't want to do things like read or watch videos on what's really a much smaller screen. I love my Air 2.

25. dennyod123 macrumors newbie

I'm near sighted, and I have both iPad mini and iPhone 6+. I have to read my iPad mini with glasses but 6+ without.