iPhone 6 Plus - Yellowish Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just had to exchange my 6 Plus (small nick on arrival) and I received my replacement. It appears to be warmer than the model I just had (I prefer cool screens to warm) and I wanted to ask your opinion.

The 1st and 2nd pictures are the 6 Plus vs my 5c (Full Brightness)
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are the 6 Plus vs my girlfriend's 5 (Full Brightness)
    The 5th picture is the 5 vs 5c (Full Brightness)

Let me know your thoughts and if I did the proper testing with these settings.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

InB4 someone says you should keep returning your 6+ over and over and over until you find one that is finally 'perfect'! :rolleyes: (those guys crack me up)

As for the tests, I would say they were conducted accurately. Apple has been going more and more yellow (aka warm) in their screens as time goes on. My 4s looks downright blue compared to my 5s which has a very yellow / warm look compared to it. Just the type of screens we have to deal with nowadays.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Do you think this looks bad though?

Attached Files:

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Not at all. I can hardly see a difference on those two pictures. On the 2nd pick I actually like the 6+ better than your 5c.

p.s. try to ignore the haters that will come on here saying "Oh man that looks terrible!" most on the forum are either trolls or are over the top OCD.

5. EEMAN13 macrumors member

Why is the screen so yellow? Did you pee on it?

6. runningtowin macrumors member

I had mild yellowing, but the bigger issue is "spotlighting" across the top. Replacement comes Friday, fingers crossed...

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

What is spotlighting?

8. uncreativedan macrumors member

As someone who has had a yellow tinge just like this but only on the top centimeter of my iPhone 5 for the past year, I can tell you it will drive you insane if and when you notice it. It's most noticeable on a white screen and it's funny because it can sometimes take your eyes a bit to see it. I'm so tired of it and if there's any on my Plus, it's going back.

9. samanthas macrumors regular

Well it is indeed yellow, but I actually prefer that to the more pinkish I'm seeing in the other one.

Yours looks like it's more yellow on the bottom though. Now that would annoy me. Could just be the camera though (?)

10. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

how did you get a +, return it, AND get a replacement already?

ru og 9/19? just curious.

11. macfoxpro macrumors 6502

I remember when the iPhone 2, 3 and 4 came out. There were some phones that came off production looking like that. I had a friend that had a iPhone 4 with a yellow screen. I mean REALLY yellow. Luckily I have never experienced that with any of my iPhones. But yeah, I would surely take it back for that.

----------

I can clearly see a difference. Dingy compared to not so dingy.

12. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Yikes, yeah it's definitely yellow. My brother-in-law's iPhone 5 was yellowed from the beginning. Drove me crazy

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

14. runningtowin macrumors member

When you look across the top, especially on white screens, you can see the actual light sources.

15. hashsi99 macrumors member

Return it. My 5s has it and I hate it. Only way I can live with it is using high brightness all the time, which is terrible on my battery. If my 6 comes like this, I will keep returning until I get a non yellow screen.

Looks disgusting certain times of day outdoors

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

NO APPLE HAS NOT

My HELL im sick of hearing this one. Apple is not moving towards warmer screens. End of story.

When Apple first releases a phone, any phone, there will be a big, BIG, % of phones that have this yellow screen issue. It is NOT intentional.

It happened on the 3G
    It happened on the 4
    It happened on the 4S, 5, 5s, and now 6 and 6+

It is a DEFECT. How do I know?

Cause I have in my hand an iphone 6 with a FLAWLESS, cool tinted, gorgeous screen. This is after usually going through 3-5 launch day phones every year. Cause I hate yellow screens.

OP, your screen is disgusting looking. Also, the contrast will be lower. The colors wont pop. AND your battery will drain faster cause the yellow screens are less efficient.

TAKE.IT.BACK!!!

----------

Right on man, you said it.

17. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

LoL

Due to all the CAPS LOCK, while I was reading your response I was picturing you yelling this at me behind your screen :D

[​IMG]

18. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

By chance do you a photo of the spotlighting? I have this on my 6 but I feel it's very mild, much less than my 4s was. I'm just wondering how bad it was to prompt you to get a replacement. I've had two iPhones, a 4s and now a 6, and both have had the spotlighting issue out of the box. The 4s was much worse than the 6, though.

19. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

My 6 is slightly bluish, I like cooler displays. Anyone have any idea on what screen manufacturers are in the iPhone 6 this time?

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

My 5 had a warm screen. My 5s had a very cool blue screen. My 6 plus has a cool screen but not as blue as my 5s. For me it's perfect.

21. meagain macrumors 68030

I compared every single pair (6 and the plus) side by side that they had in the store (all the colors). I also have the 6 and 6+ here.

The 6 has a cleaner brighter whiter white than the Plus on every single phone. The Plus has a dimmer, less 'white', less contrasty screen on all. Every single one. Less pop. Blues are less 'bright' and more a grayer vibe.

I might be seeing the higher, better contrast ratio that the 6 has over the 6+. Or the 6+ screens are calibrated differently. IDK
    I prefer the 6 display :(

22. runningtowin macrumors member

I can't get a clean photo of it. Perhaps that means I should ignore it, but once you see it, you can't "unsee it." They're sending me a replacement and if it has the same issue, so be it. Not the end of the world. But I figured I'd try.

23. mademan118 macrumors regular

The 16GB 6+ that I got from T-Mobile had a way more yellowish screen than my AT&T 64GB+. One of main reasons I don't want to get rid of this device as my battery is draining extremely quick but the screen is gorgeous cool blue.

24. 1968 macrumors regular

The question is do YOU think it looks bad?

25. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Got a new phone today...I think it's better. (These pictures don't do it justice though, they look better to the eye)

Attached Files: