iPhone 6 Plus - Yellowish Screen?

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just had to exchange my 6 Plus (small nick on arrival) and I received my replacement. It appears to be warmer than the model I just had (I prefer cool screens to warm) and I wanted to ask your opinion.

The 1st and 2nd pictures are the 6 Plus vs my 5c (Full Brightness)
The 3rd and 4th pictures are the 6 Plus vs my girlfriend's 5 (Full Brightness)
The 5th picture is the 5 vs 5c (Full Brightness)

Let me know your thoughts and if I did the proper testing with these settings.

Thanks!

Attachments

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
InB4 someone says you should keep returning your 6+ over and over and over until you find one that is finally 'perfect'! :rolleyes: (those guys crack me up)

As for the tests, I would say they were conducted accurately. Apple has been going more and more yellow (aka warm) in their screens as time goes on. My 4s looks downright blue compared to my 5s which has a very yellow / warm look compared to it. Just the type of screens we have to deal with nowadays.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Do you think this looks bad though?
Not at all. I can hardly see a difference on those two pictures. On the 2nd pick I actually like the 6+ better than your 5c.

p.s. try to ignore the haters that will come on here saying "Oh man that looks terrible!" most on the forum are either trolls or are over the top OCD.

runningtowin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
I had mild yellowing, but the bigger issue is "spotlighting" across the top. Replacement comes Friday, fingers crossed...

uncreativedan

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
As someone who has had a yellow tinge just like this but only on the top centimeter of my iPhone 5 for the past year, I can tell you it will drive you insane if and when you notice it. It's most noticeable on a white screen and it's funny because it can sometimes take your eyes a bit to see it. I'm so tired of it and if there's any on my Plus, it's going back.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
Well it is indeed yellow, but I actually prefer that to the more pinkish I'm seeing in the other one.

Yours looks like it's more yellow on the bottom though. Now that would annoy me. Could just be the camera though (?)

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just had to exchange my 6 Plus (small nick on arrival) and I received my replacement.

how did you get a +, return it, AND get a replacement already?

ru og 9/19? just curious.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just had to exchange my 6 Plus (small nick on arrival) and I received my replacement. It appears to be warmer than the model I just had (I prefer cool screens to warm) and I wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks!
I remember when the iPhone 2, 3 and 4 came out. There were some phones that came off production looking like that. I had a friend that had a iPhone 4 with a yellow screen. I mean REALLY yellow. Luckily I have never experienced that with any of my iPhones. But yeah, I would surely take it back for that.

----------

Do you think this looks bad though?
I can clearly see a difference. Dingy compared to not so dingy.

hashsi99

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks!
Return it. My 5s has it and I hate it. Only way I can live with it is using high brightness all the time, which is terrible on my battery. If my 6 comes like this, I will keep returning until I get a non yellow screen.

Looks disgusting certain times of day outdoors

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
InB4 someone says you should keep returning your 6+ over and over and over until you find one that is finally 'perfect'! :rolleyes: (those guys crack me up)

As for the tests, I would say they were conducted accurately. Apple has been going more and more yellow (aka warm) in their screens as time goes on. My 4s looks downright blue compared to my 5s which has a very yellow / warm look compared to it. Just the type of screens we have to deal with nowadays.
NO APPLE HAS NOT

My HELL im sick of hearing this one. Apple is not moving towards warmer screens. End of story.

When Apple first releases a phone, any phone, there will be a big, BIG, % of phones that have this yellow screen issue. It is NOT intentional.

It happened on the 3G
It happened on the 4
It happened on the 4S, 5, 5s, and now 6 and 6+

It is a DEFECT. How do I know?

Cause I have in my hand an iphone 6 with a FLAWLESS, cool tinted, gorgeous screen. This is after usually going through 3-5 launch day phones every year. Cause I hate yellow screens.

OP, your screen is disgusting looking. Also, the contrast will be lower. The colors wont pop. AND your battery will drain faster cause the yellow screens are less efficient.

TAKE.IT.BACK!!!

----------

Return it. My 5s has it and I hate it. Only way I can live with it is using high brightness all the time, which is terrible on my battery. If my 6 comes like this, I will keep returning until I get a non yellow screen.

Looks disgusting certain times of day outdoors
Right on man, you said it.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I had mild yellowing, but the bigger issue is "spotlighting" across the top. Replacement comes Friday, fingers crossed...
By chance do you a photo of the spotlighting? I have this on my 6 but I feel it's very mild, much less than my 4s was. I'm just wondering how bad it was to prompt you to get a replacement. I've had two iPhones, a 4s and now a 6, and both have had the spotlighting issue out of the box. The 4s was much worse than the 6, though.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
My 6 is slightly bluish, I like cooler displays. Anyone have any idea on what screen manufacturers are in the iPhone 6 this time?

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My 5 had a warm screen. My 5s had a very cool blue screen. My 6 plus has a cool screen but not as blue as my 5s. For me it's perfect.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I compared every single pair (6 and the plus) side by side that they had in the store (all the colors). I also have the 6 and 6+ here.

The 6 has a cleaner brighter whiter white than the Plus on every single phone. The Plus has a dimmer, less 'white', less contrasty screen on all. Every single one. Less pop. Blues are less 'bright' and more a grayer vibe.

I might be seeing the higher, better contrast ratio that the 6 has over the 6+. Or the 6+ screens are calibrated differently. IDK
I prefer the 6 display :(

runningtowin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
By chance do you a photo of the spotlighting? I have this on my 6 but I feel it's very mild, much less than my 4s was. I'm just wondering how bad it was to prompt you to get a replacement. I've had two iPhones, a 4s and now a 6, and both have had the spotlighting issue out of the box. The 4s was much worse than the 6, though.
I can't get a clean photo of it. Perhaps that means I should ignore it, but once you see it, you can't "unsee it." They're sending me a replacement and if it has the same issue, so be it. Not the end of the world. But I figured I'd try.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
The 16GB 6+ that I got from T-Mobile had a way more yellowish screen than my AT&T 64GB+. One of main reasons I don't want to get rid of this device as my battery is draining extremely quick but the screen is gorgeous cool blue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.