Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onedayinbury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
So I've been having a new problems recently with my iPhone 6. After a week of having it and before I got a case I dropped it and damaged the mute button - doh! The actual phone was working fine after that incident but recently I've had problems with the volume in the earpiece being too low (despite supposedly being turned up high) and the home button sometimes being unresponsive.

I've got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow, are Apple going to break my ballls over the mute button even though I am convinced these problems are nothing to do with the damaged mute button?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you damaged it yourself and you don't have applecare +, then the warranty is voided.

Will apple replace it, sometimes they do even with accidental damage.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Many have complained the volume is too low. I have mine MAXED out and it is not near as loud as my 5S at 3/4 volume. It can be fixed with a software update. If you can demonstrate that the home button is not working you, you might be in luck.

BUT, if your phone "looks" like it has been dropped, all bets could be off. you will be at the mercy of the Geek

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So I've been having a new problems recently with my iPhone 6. After a week of having it and before I got a case I dropped it and damaged the mute button - doh! The actual phone was working fine after that incident but recently I've had problems with the volume in the earpiece being too low (despite supposedly being turned up high) and the home button sometimes being unresponsive.

I've got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow, are Apple going to break my ballls over the mute button even though I am convinced these problems are nothing to do with the damaged mute button?

As long as you have no cracks on your screen/on any glass anywhere , they will replace it, doesnt matter if you drop it they will still replace it if no glass is cracked or broken anywhere on the device

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
As long as you have no cracks on your screen/on any glass anywhere , they will replace it, doesnt matter if you drop it they will still replace it if no glass is cracked or broken anywhere on the device

that's definitely not true...if they see a dent in the casing there is a good chance they will void it and say you caused the damage yourself. Really up to the employee you get stuck dealing with...some are nice and will be understanding if you make your plea...and some are well...less so ;)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
that's definitely not true...if they see a dent in the casing there is a good chance they will void it and say you caused the damage yourself. Really up to the employee you get stuck dealing with...some are nice and will be understanding if you make your plea...and some are well...less so ;)

Thats not true at all actually, the rule is that as long as the device isnt completly destroyed and that no glass is broken anywhere, it is under manufacturers warranty still, i personally am speaking from experience

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Thats not true at all actually, the rule is that as long as the device isnt completly destroyed and that no glass is broken anywhere, it is under manufacturers warranty still, i personally am speaking from experience

depends on the genius u get cuz technically...

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines"

they could notice that it's been dropped and blame the home button issue on that

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry friend --

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; "

that is straight from apple's website

they may have gone easy on you in your case, but its definitely not a 'rule' by any means...like I said it depends on who takes your case

----------

ah...u beat me to it XD

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Tip

Don't lie, but also don't volunteer any info that you aren't specifically asked.

And be nice.

Apple Geniuses aren't stupid, and your chances improve a ton if you treat them like people.

Good luck!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Because aluminum is soft, they consider dents in the casing "normal wear and tear" and this is actually stated as such in their internal documents. One can easily induce dents just from bumping against something while it's in the hand.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Don't say you dropped it. Scratches and stuff are fine. Just go in and say it's not working and that's your problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.