iPhone 6 problems + broken mute button - will Apple replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onedayinbury, Dec 11, 2014.

1. onedayinbury macrumors newbie

So I've been having a new problems recently with my iPhone 6. After a week of having it and before I got a case I dropped it and damaged the mute button - doh! The actual phone was working fine after that incident but recently I've had problems with the volume in the earpiece being too low (despite supposedly being turned up high) and the home button sometimes being unresponsive.

I've got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow, are Apple going to break my ballls over the mute button even though I am convinced these problems are nothing to do with the damaged mute button?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you damaged it yourself and you don't have applecare +, then the warranty is voided.

Will apple replace it, sometimes they do even with accidental damage.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Many have complained the volume is too low. I have mine MAXED out and it is not near as loud as my 5S at 3/4 volume. It can be fixed with a software update. If you can demonstrate that the home button is not working you, you might be in luck.

BUT, if your phone "looks" like it has been dropped, all bets could be off. you will be at the mercy of the Geek

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

As long as you have no cracks on your screen/on any glass anywhere , they will replace it, doesnt matter if you drop it they will still replace it if no glass is cracked or broken anywhere on the device

5. blooperz macrumors 6502

that's definitely not true...if they see a dent in the casing there is a good chance they will void it and say you caused the damage yourself. Really up to the employee you get stuck dealing with...some are nice and will be understanding if you make your plea...and some are well...less so ;)

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Thats not true at all actually, the rule is that as long as the device isnt completly destroyed and that no glass is broken anywhere, it is under manufacturers warranty still, i personally am speaking from experience

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

depends on the genius u get cuz technically...

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines"

they could notice that it's been dropped and blame the home button issue on that

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Sorry friend --

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; "

that is straight from apple's website

they may have gone easy on you in your case, but its definitely not a 'rule' by any means...like I said it depends on who takes your case

----------

ah...u beat me to it XD

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Tip

Don't lie, but also don't volunteer any info that you aren't specifically asked.

And be nice.

Apple Geniuses aren't stupid, and your chances improve a ton if you treat them like people.

Good luck!

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Because aluminum is soft, they consider dents in the casing "normal wear and tear" and this is actually stated as such in their internal documents. One can easily induce dents just from bumping against something while it's in the hand.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Don't say you dropped it. Scratches and stuff are fine. Just go in and say it's not working and that's your problem

12. onedayinbury thread starter macrumors newbie

They swapped it, happy days!

I now need to get a case for it.

Cheers chaps.