iPhone 6 quit with iPhone X release: coincidence or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevew3980, Nov 8, 2017.

1. stevew3980 macrumors newbie

stevew3980

My wife's iPhone 6's back camera quit about two weeks ago. From last week my iPhone 6's built-in speaker becomes very weak (volume hardly audible even at max setting). The timing of both occurences with iPhone X release makes us suspect whether this is a strategy to promote the new phone. I brought my phone to a local repair shop today who replaced both speaker and connection cable without any effect on my volume problem. The repair tech suspects it could be software issue. This reminds me that the problems appear after recent system update. It seems that we have no choice but to upgrade to a new phone. Conspiracy to push people to upgrade? Any others have similar issues?

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Yes coincidence

Ios 11 is crap on 6 apparently

Phones aren’t that good after a few updates

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Haven't had any problems with my 6 Plus since the X came out, but did notice that it became significantly slower (animations very choppy) after updating from iOS 10 to iOS 11.

4. thesim macrumors newbie

My wife was very happy on her 5s running iOS 10 up until 3 weeks ago when it randomly started boot looping. I had to plug it into iTunes which forced the update to iOS 11 which I had advised her not to update to 11. After that it booted up fine but was virtually unusable as it was so choppy and laggy so I had no option but to upgrade her to the iPhone se.
    What annoys me about it is why allow a device to be upgraded to an iOS that will cripple it even though it has plenty of life left in it on a lower iOS version. I know people praise Apple for the long updates and support on various iOS but common sense should say they should draw the line a year earlier if it means the device can chug along with no issues.
    Bottom line for me is I had to upgrade earlier than expected on a phone that one day runs smooth and responsive then becomes crippled the day after.

5. stevew3980 thread starter macrumors newbie

stevew3980

It sounds like a iOS 11 update issue. Hope this is a way to roll the system back to iOS 10. Knowing that we are not alone is some solace. Thanks guys!

6. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Back in the days around ios 3 or ios 4, Apple allowed peopel to revert back to previous version...not so much anymore. The only thing people can do with 6 series is use feedback...but the model is so old.

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

There is no way to go back to a previous version of iOS.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you’ve saved your blobs you can roll back. But chances are you haven’t if you’re asking here, unfortunately.

10. ttforever macrumors regular

ios 11 on my 6 is absolutely fine, no issues at all and doesn't seem to be any slower than 10 was

11. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

I'm wondering if there was never a class action lawsuit as we have this every year happen again.

iOS updates slows down massively older iPhones and iPads and there is now way back. Even the 7 is now affected by iOS 11.

I would understand a more processor hungry new app but just opening the keyboard on the same old apps takes now a few seconds. This smells really fishy...

12. alFR macrumors 68020

The data would suggest otherwise.

13. Revels macrumors member

I can't believe an actual adult would think like this.

14. macher macrumors 65816

macher

iOS 11 is the worse release ever on an iPhone. Even on my 7 it’s crappy.

15. maerz001, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

this is a raw CPU test. it doesn't tell us anything about UI performance.

While I don't believe that Apple kills iPhones like the OP implies, the slow death of iPhones due to sluggish UI isn't much better;)

"Lag and random reboots have been a problem on our iPhone 6. Our device hasn't rebooted itself yet, but we've notices a bit of UI lag. We had a similar experience on previous versions of iOS 11.
    Animations are still occasionally choppy and we've experienced some keyboard lag when sending texts via Messages. "

https://www.gottabemobile.com/7-things-to-know-about-the-iphone-6-ios-11-update/

For iPhone 5s:"...there are some fairly significant regressions, particularly in Mail, Notes, and Maps; and boot time goes way up."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/ios-11-on-the-iphone-5s-slower-but-not-quite-slow/

16. Wmhunt macrumors newbie

With the exception of the Podcasts app (which is slowwww), my 6 is running fine with iOS 11.

The battery, on the other hand...(though that was a problem long before iOS 11.

I'm looking forward to the X, once Verizon finally makes it available to prepaid users.

17. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Are you serious..?

18. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Apple singled you out specifically and made sure your 6 crapped out right when the X was released. Definitely not a coincidence.

19. stevew3980 thread starter macrumors newbie

stevew3980

I did not save any blobs so it looks like I am out of luck. So may be the time for an upgrade. But the feeling of being pressured to do so is bad. Used to think my iPhone would last a few more years before the new upgrade.

A class action sounds like some idea to deal with this type of issue. It's our iPhone, why not give us the option of using an older system? I don't need the tons of new features with iOS11, and after all shouldn't we be able decide what system to use on our phones?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    @DNichter @SBruv The timing of our two iPhones having problem simultaneously around iPhone X release does let you smell fish. Apple is under constant pressure to perform and this might be one of their strategies to push users to upgrade every few years.

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

And you feel that Apple can control when individual components will fail? There are iPhone 6's out there that are still working..

21. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Absolutely ridiculous.