Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
I think the reason Apple came out with 2 iPhone 6's this time around is because they couldn't make up their mind on which size to go for.

What they should have done really is gone 5" and put the OIS camera and the possible 2GB of ram into the 5" version while also adding a 1080p screen which would have had around 445ppi hence slightly sharper.

That way they would have had best of both worlds, phone roughly around the size of the S5 or HTC M8, while still having a big screen to please everybody that wanted a larger screen iPhone this time around.

The 5" iPhone 6 would have been the Goldilocks size that would have near enough suited everybody that wanted a bigger screen.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
No. The 4.7" is necessary for those of us that are slow to change, and the 5.5" is for the people who for some reason want a ridiculously large phone like the Galaxy Note. Even Samsung has the two options. It makes sense in today's market. 5" is too big for some and too small for others.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
No. The 4.7" is necessary for those of us that are slow to change, and the 5.5" is for the people who for some reason want a ridiculously large phone like the Galaxy Note. Even Samsung has the two options. It makes sense in today's market. 5" is too big for some and too small for others.

THis

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

Yup, I agree. I'm ready to go to 4.7 from my 5, but 5"... I would have hesitated more.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
It should have been 12mm long and 93cm wide. Everyone knows this is the new aspect ratio for movies.

joshmv

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Why didn't Apple think to contact you before making this important decision?

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Actually I thought the S2 had a pretty nice size at 4.3"

iphone4-vs-galaxys2-2.jpg

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Its all about preference. 5.0 to 5.2 would have been the sweet spot that allows for better grip and easier accessibility. Even better get rid of the bezels!!!

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
I went with the 5.5" mainly because the larger battery. A 5" 1080p iPhone will be perfect for me, 5.2" is a bit too big consider the large bezel on the iPhone 6 design.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Apple probably had vigorously tested out potential sizes of phones and screens several years ago to adapt to a future product. I think the 5.5 seems huge to some, but that's because most of the people were were avid iOS users. 5.5 really isn't that huge for people who have been on Android. Once you get a feel for it and become adjusted — it's fine.

4.7 seems like an ideal size as the secondary model for people who really don't like larger screens, but I really feel like the 5.5 might become Apple's new main phone size if it really catches on. I think it might, due to how important mobile video and games are now for the iPhone.

Don't think that Apple was "confused" about anything. There is no doubt that they have been researching phones and sizes for years before coming out with this.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
Actually I thought the S2 had a pretty nice size at 4.3"

I agree, 4.3" seems like the sweet spot for people who still want a smaller phone with a touch extra screen real estate. I hope they do something for the people who want smaller phones other than regurgitating old specs into a smaller shell for entry level sales.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

Agree 100%

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
After having a launch day note 2 for the last 2 years I'll never go back to a screen under 5.5in. I'd probably be getting a note 4 if apple didn't have the 6+ as an option. I'm really glad they did and I'm sure it was in their stradegy to get long time android users to cross over since we got hooked to the larger screens.

Can't wait till Friday :D

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
4.7" is about the max size in my opinion. I tried out an HTC One last year and liked the size. I'm glad they didn't go 5". Those who want something larger than 4.7" can get the 6+

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Apple usually thinks about maximizing releases and sales beyond the current. I'm sure there were prototypes of all sizes. I wouldn't be shocked to see the iPhone 7 be 5.0 inches and the iPhone 7 Plus be the same size or slightly bigger, but with cleaner bezels to make it feel smaller. That lets people feel like they got something that improved on the 6. Easy money.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
It should have been 12mm long and 93cm wide. Everyone knows this is the new aspect ratio for movies.

I was a little surprised because of how Apple didn't seem to like the fragmentation of different screen sizes. But, here we are with a 4", 4.7", 5.5", iPad mini and iPad. iPad Pro next year?

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Apple usually thinks about maximizing releases and sales. I wouldn't be shocked to see the iPhone 7 be 5.0 inches and the iPhone 7 Plus be the same size or slightly bigger, but with cleaner bezels to make it feel smaller.

More chance of sapphire glass/flexible displays and curved glass tbh. They can't keep making phones bigger and bigger.

7" screens would for example be a tablet / phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.