iPhone 6 Release Pre-Order Upgrades this Year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

It will be interesting to see how upgrades are Pre-Ordered this year because in the past you had to be eligible for a 2-Year upgrade to order the new phone. It seems now with most carriers offering a bunch of options, I would think Apple will need to have the Unlocked versions available right away.

I am on the AT&T Next Program and will either finance the phone or pay full price, I do not care for the Sub phone pricing bc it bumps my monthly cost on my phone from $15 to $40, will be interesting any way you look at it.

2. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

It would be nice if you could do Next/Edge/etc when buying through Apple instead of the carrier. Whether or not I would actually do it, I don't know, but it would be good to have all options instead of just the two year contract.

3. akron0488 macrumors member

I'm going to stick to my two year upgrades, especially since they tend to move them up for me. Never liked the idea of leasing a phone from the carrier, and never will. Why complicate life? I'll upgrade normally and without all this "next" nonsense.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am mostly interested whether or not buying from Apple will allow you to use Next. If not, this is going to be extremely annoying come launch day, especially since AT&T seems to only get a small handful of devices.

5. bobright macrumors 601

If you finance it through Next with the monthly installments you'll still be paying around $40 when you throw in the data bucket except you can pay it off earlier

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

For the 5s last year you couldn't pre-order at all so that might still be the case for the 6 no matter what plan or where you are on the plan. You could only order on the day that the phone was available.
    You could pre-order the 5c but not the 5s.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Most likely I will pay in full just to be done with it, you did not have that option on the old plans, so no matter what you had to pay $40 as with the new way I can keep my monthly low and only pay $15 still either way it is like your paying more, the only difference is I can keep my 5 as long as I want and my monthly is only $15

8. Deguello macrumors 6502

This "next" nonsense doesn't require that you treat the phone as essentially leased. You can. You can also make interest free payments for 20 or 28 months and own the phone or just buy it outright from the beginning.

9. rockitdog Suspended

The whole point of the Next/Edge programs is to get you to treat your devices like a lease. If you don't trade them in and just pay for them in full and use Next/Edge your foolish because you just paid full price for a device that you could have gotten subsidized at a much cheaper price.

10. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm also going to be buying outright so hopefully the unlocked phones are available right away.

11. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

You're right that you'll be paying around $40, but you won't have the down payment and won't have to pay the activation fee...so Next actually comes out around $250 cheaper.

12. Deguello macrumors 6502

So wrong it's hard to know where to start.

Next lowers your price of service from $40 to $15 per month per smartphone if you have a big enough data pool. So, no, treating devices as leased isn't the whole point of Next.

As far as being foolish for getting a subsidized phone at a cheaper price, math is your friend.

24 months at a subsidized price that is $25 higher than on Next = $600. Add in the $199 price of a subsidized base iPhone and the cost is $799. An unsubsidized base iPhone costs $750. Why is paying less than the subsidized price "foolish," exactly?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

LOL. Do you honestly think you're not paying full price or more for that subsidized phone?

On an old style contract you pay the embedded subsidy whether you upgrade or not; screwed over those who didn't upgrade at every opportunity but not much choice.

Now with the mobile share plans you can choose from:
    Subsidy: Pay $200 up front, $36 upgrade fee, then an extra $25 per month for 24 months, total $836.
    Next or buy outright: Pay $650.

Yep, the subsidy sure is cheaper! :rolleyes:

14. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I wonder if AT&T will allow early upgrades this year, if it drops in September I wonder if they would make me wait two months to hit my full contract date.

15. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Apple has agreements will all four now, and they give them a window (4 weeks or so) of 'exclusivity'. There has been some individuals who successfuly got an AT&T or Verizon phone and unlocked it after paying full price.

For me, if the unlocked is not released on day 1, I will sign up with T-Mo, pay full and have it unlocked, then go back to Net10 once the 30 or 60 day window is done.

16. outie2k macrumors regular

You would have to contact AT&T to grant you an early full upgrade. AT&T has done away the 20-month upgrade eligibility last year. You have to wait a full 24-month now.

17. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Looks like 40 days
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

19. bobright macrumors 601

I'll be going through Next and paying off the majority if not all of it upfront. Upgrades?! lol

20. rockitdog Suspended

Well unfortunately that $25 only works on AT&T. Verizon only gives you $10 off your phone if you have less than 10GB per month which most people don't have.

----------

I get it, but for Verizon there is no discount on your service like there is on AT&T which goes from $40 to $15. Verizon gives you $10 off and that's it.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, nothing wrong with that though there's been debate as to whether you could pay off a portion of the balance or had to pay off the full remaining balance. Doesn't really matter either way since it's 0% interest; pay monthly 'til you have the full funds to pay off remaining balance.

The better option though may be to buy at full price using a warranty doubling credit card then pay off the credit card balance that month. May not be able to do that on day 1 of course...

22. Deguello macrumors 6502

That's what I'll be doing. The $25 Next discount makes Day 1 a little less pressing, since my service cost won't include the subsidization cost anymore.

I only mentioned Next. I don't know much of anything about Verizon's pricing.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well since you mentioned Next, people would think you were including AT&T in your assessment...

Yes, the Verizon setup svcks; low discount when you're on the Edge program and NO DISCOUNT when you're using a paid off phone. Definitely not worth it on Verizon.

24. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

25. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I dropped subsidies with AT&T, so buying outright is my plan. I don't want to deal with AT&T-locked, so I'm hoping that unlocked is available ASAP.