iphone 6+ replacement and Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedru13, Nov 4, 2014.

1. thedru13 macrumors regular

Ok so had some hardware issues with my IP6+. I made a genius appointment and they said there is an issue with the phone and swapped it out. As I was getting the replacement I wanted to purchase apple care. Apple Genius informed me that i can not put apple care on a replacement phone. Now I am within the 60 day purchase window. Is this true? I called apple directly and they said I would need the replacement phone before I could start the process of even purchasing apple care. I didn't take the replacement phone since i wanted to manually back up a few things since my backup data also seems to be corrupt.

Has anyone purchased apple care on there replacement phone under apple warranty exchange? Just didn't make a lot of sense to me..

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't see a reason for them to lie... Probably has something to do with how replacements and serial numbers are processed, I would think.

I also don't see a reason for them not to just put AC+ on your previous phone then and there.

3. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. They said would be more work to put it on the current phone then they would have to issue me a refund then i would have to repay for AC+ on the replacement phone. Seemed like convoluted process

4. HotIce macrumors regular

Yes, you can't 'switch over' Apple Care from one phone to the other.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You shouldn't have to do any switching though.

I get pple care plus today

I take my phone in for a warranty replacement

They replace it, don't use up an Apple Care replacement since it's not my fault, and they give me a replacement phone which is also covered by Apple Care now.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

If you have AC and get a replacement phone, the AC plan will transfer to the replacement phone. They should note the new serial # and update your AC plan accordingly.

7. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

This is exactly right I had to do replace my iPhone 5s and this is what my apple store did.

8. thedru13 thread starter macrumors regular

9. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

They can't in store but if you call Apple Care and explain, they'll add it and charge you no problem.

I did this.