Iphone 6 replacement phones Brand new? or refurbished?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shabanggg, Sep 28, 2014.

1. shabanggg, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

shabanggg macrumors member

I'm sure this has been talked about to death with previous models etc..and I know everybody always things that the genius bar iphones that apple gives out as a replacement for people with issues on their current iphones etc. are refurbished or have been damaged in some way and then fixed.

I was there today and the store manager and the guy that was helping me both told me that apple sends a batch of iphone 6's to give as a replacement while all the rest get sealed for retail sale..meaning, phones get made, phones get sent to apple genius bar and to retail for use.

Who believes the genius bar iphone 6 (only talking iphone 6 here) is refurbished? or bad units that didn't make the cut and then were fixed up etc etc thus becoming genius bar replacements? who belives they are indeed brand new phones just like you would get from the retail box?

If you think the iphones have been damaged or bad units at one time and then fixed up to become replacement phones what is your proof?

I'm currently have flickering lights on my slo mo video mode on an iphone 6 and not sure what to do. They offered to replace and I declined. Might have to though as they are all back ordered.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

At this stage of the game theres no chance the replacement units are refurbished.

3. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Of course they are brand new. They are boxed up separately. No reason to be concerned.

5. shabanggg thread starter macrumors member

so it'd be like me basically spending $810 (iphone 6 64gb unlocked) on a genius bar replacement phone..If these are truly "new" like retail phones then no issue...I have my iphone 6 less than 24 hours and have to return it.

Would you guys do the replacement phone or wait for a retail box?

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I had a wonky vibrate mechanism.
    I did the replacement, white box. Totally brand new.

But if you're going to do it, do it ASAP, as the refurbs will eventually start making their way in.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If the phone looks, feels and works as brand new then what difference does it really make? And you still have a full 1 year of warranty if you have any problems with it.
    You can still return it and buy another one if that makes you sleep better at night.

8. shabanggg thread starter macrumors member

actually I can't. That's the situation i'm in. I sold my old iphone and now have the 6. If I return the iphone I will not be able to get another one any time soon since they're sold out everywhere. I will only buy from apple, not my carrier (tmobile).

After dealing with customer service I got approved for an "advanced replacement". The "advanced replacement" works like this : They bill you temporarily and ship out your brand new retail packaged phone, you then send back your damaged phone once new phone arrives, they get old phone and credit card charge drops off. I will get bumped to the front of the line with expedited shipping etc so the whole back ordered mess will not apply to me (thank God, I was worried about that). This is exactly what I wanted.

9. No111 macrumors newbie

I register to this forum just want to answer this problem. My Iphone is replaced this afternoon around 1pm because its bended. when i got the replacement phone and went back home. Take off the plastic and find out some dent and black dot on the back of the phone. At 2.30pm I drove all the way back to Apple Store and told them about the phone. The Manager of Apple Store at Brea Mall California said No! we wont replace for you, you signed the paper and walked out the store right? The phone is still function and better than the phone you brought in" I said yeah it is better about not bend but it has dent on the back. She said if the phone is still function its nothing we can do. I have nothing to say. Just told them I just got the phone over 1 hour and drive back here right away I knew the problem. All she say is No and she wont replace for me. but before she said no, the guy gave me the phone at the 1st he said ok and he know i just got the phone. only the manager is suck.

Finally, all I want to say is dont get the replacement phone or have to check it very carefully before you walk out the store. I dont know how other people, but my replacement phone is refur or used for sure. t

10. myztikal47 macrumors regular

I had my 6+ replaced at the apple store due to bad pixels in the camera. It was a white box replacement, but it was brand new, no issues what so ever.......

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Having a retial box with matching serial numbers gets the most money when you sell it. That way you do not need to convince the buyer of your phone that it is really not a refurb.:rolleyes:

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but not every buyer is as picky as that:D

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe not everyone but there are plenty . . . . . . . .:rolleyes:

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you on that.
    They act like they're buying a Ferrari:D

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I personally like to see the box as it is less likely the device being sold to me is stolen.

16. mb3152 macrumors member

I was told by an Apple employee that all "refurbished" iPhones are brand new. I got AppleCare and paid the 50 bucks to get a new phone when I sold my iPhone 5 when I got my iPhone 6, and she volunteered this information when I asked if the battery was new. She explained that the whole phone is new, and that it's just not financially profitable for them to pull phones apart and reassemble them.

17. its Dale macrumors 6502

I believe them.

On launch day of the iPhone 5, mine came out of the box w/ a non-working home button. I went to the Apple store that same day and he said the same thing. They have replacement phones made for defective devices. It was in an envelope sleeve lined with bubble wrap. exactly like the one they gave me for my iPhone 6 the other day.

18. techspin macrumors 6502a

Well I was gonna say to the OP, before realizing he's been banned, the flickering lights on slo mo is probably due to his light source not his phone. :D