Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
and, when it is time to replace it .I will need the large screen such as the iphone 6 s + and my plan will be to buy a used refurbed etc from apple amazon swappa etc have a tekkie reload it get me on straight talk new battery etc if needed.....question is which one should I get.....I was thinking, iphone x---but after researching ...maybe not a good choice.--so macrumordaddies and honey's which used iphone to repace it with?...

recommendations pls....and thank you very very much-

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I expect it to be supported for at least another 2 years. I *believe* iOS 15 will be the last operating system update, and iOS 16 should be released in mid/ late 2022 which won't be compatible.

Apple has an excellent history of providing security updates, however I don't expect the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to be supported as long as the iPhone 6s.

Around 2022, I recommend getting either an iPhone XS (with a 5.8" display) or an iPhone 11 (with a 6.1" display). You should be able to get at least two more iOS updates on it (iOS 17, in 2024?)

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Your post is confusing, but I think I catch your drift.

Get the newest one you can at the cheapest price you can. Think newest first, since you’ll get many years of software updates. Then focus on price.

The longer between upgrading you get cuts down on price because you’re not always lagging behind.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Thank you all ...much appreciated --confusing? not to everyone it seems..again, thanks.,

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
2028 at the earliest. Don’t bother with the 8 though it’s a sh*t iPhone. Get the XR or 12 (non pro)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Replaced my 6s Plus with a 12 Pro Max when they launched. Nice upgrade, the size is virtually the same but the smaller bezels give you a bigger screen. My 6s Plus was still working fine, battery was showing its age but still good enough to get me through the day with my light usage. Main reason for upgrading was the camera and I have been very happy with that, it's a huge upgrade. Battery life is also very impressive.

Initially I was unhappy with Face ID instead of the fingerprint sensor, but I got used to it pretty fast. I do still miss a physical home button though, it was much more intuitive than all the "swiping" you need to do on these new phones.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I loved my 6s Plus but was always wavering about switching to the standard size iPhone for easier one-handed use. I ended up with the iPhone 8 and loved it, but missed the maximum screen size of the Plus models, and the extra battery life. So I jumped on the 11 Pro Max. That would be my recommendation if you're looking to keep that large size screen. 11 Pro Max. I typically skip one or two models in my own personal upgrade cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.