iPhone 6 Sapphire pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bengy66, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bengy66 macrumors regular

With the report from WSJ that only some of the higher end iPhone 6 models will receive sapphire screens, I think this is a good sign that the high mark ups for flash storage is a thing of the past. I am not naive to think the 16 gbs model will be the same price as 64 gb but I do believe for the additional $200 or $250 will include 64 gbs AND sapphire. Flash storage pricing was a major cash cow for Apple however it wasn't going to be maintained for much longer.

By doing this type of pricing structure, I also think it will cause the average consumer to spend more on the higher-end model than before. Running out of storage is a manageable issue however cracking a screen is often not without an expense. The upfront expense to buy the more durable screen may avoid some of those cracks and save the client on apple care+. This will potentially lead to more revenue as people will download more apps/music with the added space than before.

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Apple Care plus doesn't only cover a cracked screen so I think those of us who purchase it will continue to do so no matter what type of screen the new iPhone is made of.

3. Bengy66 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. Apple care plus isn't going anywhere do to other issues but I could see some consumers justifying not getting it because of a more durable screen.

4. bobright macrumors 601

I doubt the screen will NOT be able to scratch like some folks think. I'm sure it'll be like all previous gens where over time you'll see small hairline scratches that are visible under certain lighting.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would assume a screen protector will protect against those small scratches. I do that now and when I go to sell my phone, its in pristine condition.

6. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

WSJ is reporting we might not see a sapphire crystal phone this year.

7. itjw macrumors 65816

We won't. And if we do, expect it to be on the LARGER 6.

All of the tangential lines the OP draws to flash storage pricing are pretty laughable though (sorry). The BASE models of nearly every other smart phone on the market (tablets too) are either 8 or 16GB.

You may not like it, but as long as it continues to sell, and sell extraordinarily well, it's just a cash cow they have NO reason to kill. And they shouldn't. Apple isn't the Red Cross. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

The sapphire disply may give them another "option". Say it costs $49 or $99 EXTRA on the 6 for a sapphire display? Then they could make a 128GB option with either gorrila or sapphire, and maximize profits on both by still cashing in on flash storage.

It's win-win for Apple, and people would STILL line up to buy them.

And AC+? People that buy it buy it for any number of reasons, but a more durable (read: NOT indestructible) screen won't affect that decision. If I drop my sapphire 6, I want to know I can walk in and replace it for $79, not pay $300 (or more) IF the part is in stock anywhere (and I have a feeling for a long time it won't be, similar to availability of the 4" screens). AC+ eliminates all that. It will still sell. It may even sell BETTER on a more expensive model.

Apple makes more $$$, we pay more $$$. And people still line up for the privelege. Why would apple change this???

They wouldn't. They don't care if YOU leave. You and your 21 buddies won't hurt the bottom line. Sorry to break it to ya.