iPhone 6(S)(+) Iphone 6 - scared to update, HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by urbanlegend179, Aug 4, 2018.

1. urbanlegend179 macrumors newbie

So I have an Iphone 6 that is still running ios 8.1.2

It's been working like a dream for the last 4 years, not a single problem the entire time. Now, snapchat logged me out and won't let me log back in citing "connection problem". I guess they're just forcing me to update.

I've heard the horror stories about phones slowing down, shall I update to the latest ios? Is there any chance at all my phone will perform the same?

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

iOS 12 is rumoured to be a performance-focused release. Hope it is the case.
    For the slowing-down part, the experience varies greatly from user to user, so take their words with a grain of salt. You know, once you jump in, you will have no way to back off/fall back.
    If snapchat is not a huge deal for you, and there is no incentive to update, I'd stay away from the latest version of iOS for as long as I can if I were you.

3. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

iOS 12 will obviously be night and day slower than iOS 8 on an iPhone 6.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We are always promised performance gains, but for the older devices, it slows them down. No way Apple can add new features without using more resources.

For some this is a huge Apple conspiracy to force you to buy new phones. Do not see how Apple could advance without upgrading it’s software.

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

I'm using a 6+ in iOS 9.3.5 and keystroke input in the keyboard (typing) has significant delays compared to iOS 8. It's actually just barely tolerable. I used to be able to fly on the keyboard with iOS 8. Not anymore. But it's ok. iOS 10 on my iPhone 5 seems to type as fast, but nobody has ever said iOS 11 is quick. It may (or may not) frustrate you to the point that you'll want to get a newer phone. That's why Apple never lets you go backwards.

6. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If you do not wish to update, why not a workaround? Can't you login to Snapchat using Safari or another browser? Or does it not work that way?

8. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

9. aviddk macrumors regular

I am running 11.4 on a 6+ and can't wait to purchase a new phone. There are significant delays in booting and opening apps. Some apps you need them NOW not later.

10. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

Exactly. Once a phone is more than two years old, it’s reasonable to expect its performance will begin to decline.

My iPhone 6 aged the worst out of all my iPhones. Battery performed poorly and performance was getting juddery after eighteen months.

11. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I have iOS 12 beta on my iPhone 6 and it seems faster and more fluid than iOS 10 or 11. That being said it could no way be as fast or fluid as when it was on iOS 8.

12. urbanlegend179 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, in the end I updated to ios11, and it did indeed slow my phone down, but not to the extent I feared it would. It was only slower by about 15%, mostly just the timing it takes to load apps.

I have since updated again to ios12, and I was hoping the performance would be improved, but it hasn't. Perhaps because I updated OTA? Should I have updated via itunes? Is there any way I can downgrade back to ios11 and then update to ios12 using itunes instead of wifi?

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If you want to reinstall, there's no reason to downgrade or upgrade or anything like that, you can do it via DFU mode if you really want to. The way you install shouldn't really matter much one way or another. Keep in mind that this is still just the x.0 release and there will be some bug fix updates as well as further refinements of things in x.1 and further minor updates.

14. urbanlegend179 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do it by DFU mode? And will I lose all my data?

or shall I just wait until the bug fix updates and use itunes then?

15. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

IOS 12 has given my iPhone 6 a whole new life!. It had become slow and juddery with IOS 11 but its now back to “almost” as fast as it was when new. My late 2014 iMac is the same with Mojave, its flying again

16. urbanlegend179 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you update via itunes?

17. Cheesybugger macrumors newbie

Cheesybugger

Nope, I’ve never updated that way.