iPhone 6 scratch / hairline crack. My options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swiftfix, Nov 9, 2014.

1. swiftfix macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

On 9/12 I purchased my iPhone 6 from BestBuy. Just this past week I noticed a very fine scratch on the surface of the phone, which I found odd because I'm very careful with it and always keep it away from my keys etc.

Upon closer inspection, under the screen there is a very faint line that curves around the entire screen. It is very faint, like the thread in a spider web. You can only see it when the light it hitting it at just the right angle. It looks as though it may be dried adhesive.

What is interesting is that the fine scratch lines up perfectly with the faint line that curves around the phone. My thought is that the scratch may not necessarily be from something that has come into contact with the screen, but possibly something to do with that adhesive under the screen.

I'd like to have the phone replaced if possible, but I fear that time has come and gone. It is just annoying that this is happening two months after I bought the device. I don't have Applecare, or any other sort of insurance on the phone, so I'm feeling as though I'm screwed. Are there any options I may be overlooking? Thanks.

I'll also try to get pictures up when I get a chance.

2. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

You may not have Applecare, but you have the 1 year warranty. I would just take it to Apple and see what they say.

It's certainly not impossible to have a structural defect in the glass from the manufacturer, but whether or not they'll see it that way is another issue. Worst case scenario is that they won't help you and you're back where you started.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Is it an actual hairline crack in the screen? If so, Apple will replace single hairline crack defects under warranty.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Should have noticed that defect when u were in your return window.

5. swiftfix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Thank you Jay and Atomic. I'll take the phone to my local apple store and show them.