iPhone 6 scratches: gray vs silver

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sneak3, Nov 18, 2014.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey folks.

I'm about to finally surrender to a new iPhone model, which will be the 6. 4S was a part of my life but it's time to say goodbye.

So I'm seriously considering not sticking to black anymore. White seems pretty elegant and there are lots of white phones nowadays, so it won't be like the gold one (extremely flashy).

However something I'd like to clear out first is whether the black's gray body will show more scratches than the white/silver one.

I heard that silver has not a coated finish, meaning if it gets scratched (it will), there wont be a difference in color. But the gray one, when scratched, would show a different color, as the aluminum inside is not the same as the finish.

Any ideas about that matter guys?

2. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

I went for the silver iPhone 6 since my black(ish) iPhone 5 was ridiculously easy to scratch. Even with a bumper I managed to get little marks on the outer band. So far the silver iPhone 6 has not shown any signs of this. Not sure though how the grey iPhone 6 handles this.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416320236.551039.jpg

I don't know but the 6 I'd bought (and returned) came out of the box scratched. It was a space gray.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

hmm I've had the Space Gray 6 for quite a while and have no scratches on the back.

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard that they have changed the manufacturing process and made the grey in the 6 much lighter, exactly to try to fix the scratching issue.

However I'm not sure if that was enough or not.

@septembersrain, that is a pretty noticeable scratch. Damn. It is obviously lighter than the normal finish, which is why I was thinking about going with the silver one.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

To be honest, it's was all kinds of defective. It would overheat and the screen had black lines running across it. There were also scratches around the top antennae bar but those were less noticeable. =/

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you are expecting scratches, the silver will show them MUCH less.

8. blwade macrumors 6502

I ordered a case for my phone... hoping to get it before I left for the weekend. I got my phone on a Thursday, the case was suppose to be delivered Friday, but it got delayed (USPS sent it to the wrong post office.....) and I had to wait until Monday to get it since I went out of town.

At some point that weekend, I ended up with a couple scratches on the back of my phone that look like white lines.

I have a space gray 6+

It was unfortunate... but I prefer it on the back rather than on the front! The front of my phone still appears flawless.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The iPhone 5 was Black Slate but they changed it to Space Grey with the iPhone 5s partially because Black Slate was much easier to scratch, they didn't have the right coating to prevent it and could have fixed it but Space Grey was easier to prevent from scratching....at least thats what I've heard. Anyways, I love my Space Grey iPhone 6....I like the Black front....if I could get Silver with a Black front (however tiny of a difference that might be) I probably would...black slate would be pretty cool too.

10. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im planning on getting a case as well, but even with a case, dirt and speckles can easily get into the back and keep constantly scratching it.

My iphone 4 had a case which I never took off and it ended up FULL of tiny scratches. With my iphone 4s I got a back film protector and it is also very damaged.

So even with a case, at least for me, scratches are indeed expected.

The thing is I've never had a white phone and I'm planning on keeping the iphone 6 for at least 2 years. So I'm afraid I might be stuck with the white and not liking it, except I really wanted to like it (also resale value will be higher if it maintain it's condition better than the black one)! haha

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Necked since day one. Two months later not a single scratch anywhere on my space grey 6.

12. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

I don't why they couldn't get hard anodising on the old black slate iphone 5's pretty disappointing from apple, look at Surefire torches, there ano holds up to way more than an iPhone would ever be out through.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

14. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Do you have any on the Apple logo? Thanks

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I wish the Silver had a Black face like the Space Gray.

16. Apoirier594 macrumors newbie

Silver iPhone 6.. Not a single scratch, on the phone or apple logo. I'm careful where I lay it down tho. No case

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The Apple logo is unmarked.

18. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Thanks for your reply, I'm tempted to go caseless. :)

19. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

just get a back shield if you're worried about scratches.

20. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

My husband made me get the white phone, less scratch or should I say, less noticeable!

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I hope so because I just ordered Space Grey this month. My iPad Air space grey was not very good. :apple:

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I really did like the black slate iPhone 5....other than the iPad mini black slate didn't seam to last long at all...they sort of just gave up on it and went to Space Grey.

23. Alex225 macrumors regular

I'm assuming the silver finish is the actual finish of the metal so I would imagine will be a bit tougher than a coating such as the Space Grey.

That said Space Grey seems more scratch resistant than the slate colour of the iPhone 5!

24. okrelax, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

okrelax macrumors member

I've been carrying the space grey 6 plus without a case for a month and a half, no scratches at all. The chamfered edges were the most susceptible area for my 5/5s. It seemed almost impossible to keep the 5s in flawless condition without a case. I'm actually quite surprised and very impressed with the 6 plus. Initially didn't think I would carry it without a case but I've become accustomed to it

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, that is the reason I always pick the grey phones as I dislike white bezels.:apple: