iPhone 6 screen crack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iJohnnyG, Sep 21, 2014.

1. iJohnnyG macrumors regular

Both me and my partner ordered iPhone 6, arrived on Friday and wow what a beautiful phone.

My partner got iPhone 6 in Silver and on Friday night the iPhone was put on charge (using the 5S charger, not the one which came with the iPhone 6). Saturday morning we wake up to find a massive crack in the screen. We think it may have been caused by the phone overheating.

Saturday we went into our local Apple Store where they were more than helpful, they looked at the phone and a replacement was offered and given. My question is, has anyone else seen a problem like this on iPhone 6?

Attached Files:

2. Cryates macrumors 65816

I've never seen or had a screen just crack on its own.

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

If theres just the right kind of flaw in the glass then a tiny amount of pressure can cause it to crack. Its annoying but it happens and is just a fact of glass for now.

4. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much what Apple said.

5. ahawkins09 macrumors newbie

Happened to my screen too

The same thing happened to my iPhone about a week ago. I tried to take it back to Best Buy (where I purchased it), but they kept claiming that it was accidental damage. I also called Apple but they said the same thing even though I kept reiterating that I did not drop the phone or anything. I wonder if they will replace it if I take it to the Apple store and talk to one of the geniuses working there.

6. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I know this has come up on the forums with previous generations of iPhone. It's a flaw in the construction of the front glass that occurs rarely. Apple should exchange without question.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

That's probably the case. Usually when one hears of a cracked screen, their first assumption is that you dropped it (not an unreasonable belief). But if it was dropped on a surface hard enough to crack the screen, you would probably see other damage on the phone as well (eg. scuffs on the case, scratched plastic between the display and case), and an Apple Store employee inspecting it would be more likely to believe you.

8. ahawkins09 macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll be heading up there today

9. BuffordT macrumors regular

It's in Apple's employee manual to replace phones with a single crack with no other damage on the phone. Cracks in glass do happen on their own at times.

10. cool4bob macrumors newbie

iPhone 6 Cracked screen

I used my iphone yesterday morning for about one hour then went to prepare lunch when I picked it back up there was a single hairline crack near the top eek: A genius looked at it and inspected for blemishes and after turning off find my phone :)said we will do a Display replacement IW at no cost and come back in one hour. good on you :apple:

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There was another thread here that had the same problem. Glad Apple took care of you OP.

12. cool4bob macrumors newbie

OH no! my phone has died, I cannot open charge or anything!

----------

I dare not connect to itunes because I might lose my backup like I lost everything when I uploaded an IOS upgrade when I was on holiday in Kazakhstan groan!

----------

Back to genius in the morning.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

^

Normally I'd say "welcome to the forums" but I don't really feel that way after reading your post. I don't mean to be unfriendly, but yikes.

14. lrsone macrumors 6502

Happened to my iPhone 4 it's definitely an issue with the glass. I used my iPhone the night before, everything was perfectly fine. When I woke up the next morning it had a crack similar to the crack on your phone.

15. cool4bob macrumors newbie

I put it on charge and lo and behold it's now OK:)

16. ashleym518 macrumors newbie

it just happened to me a couple of days ago have an apt tomorrow my carrier said I would have to pay but apple told me to come in its a hairline fracture to the screen happened while on the phone and charging it it was hot as well

17. Newtons Apple, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Even a small defect that you can not see can cause glass to break without warning. Apple did the right thing. Your charger had nothing to do with it.

As long as there is not evidence of physical abuse Apple will usually replace a device when this happens.

18. ashleym518 macrumors newbie

yeah my phone has a case practically brand new it was weird and honestly is scarey

19. ashleym518 macrumors newbie

I have an apt with apple tomorrow hopefully they'll replace it would I be able to get a different color

20. ckc macrumors regular

Replace it YES.
    A different colour. NO WAY.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, different color will be a problem with Apple.