iPhone 6 screen "hot spots?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prototypical, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Anyone seeing hot spots on their screen? I'm noticing some blotchy areas towards the upper part of the display. Some areas are darker than the majority of the screen, while others appear brighter. I don't really notice the dark spots in daily use, but the intermittent bright spots make the screen look smudged.

I'm able to see it best when I pull up a stark white image on the display. Anyone else seeing this?

2. donster28 macrumors 65816

I had this on my very first 6+...slight yellow, greyish, dark shade particularly in the upper part of the screen. Sampled some phones at the Apple Store on launch day with the same issues on a few, and some are perfectly even.

Had it replaced a few times because of this and some other issues and my new one is perfect in every way.

3. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Yes, there is some spotlighting on the top edge of my 6. Goes along the entire top. Not hugely noticeable but there.

I also notice the text(native) is not quite as sharp as it was on my 5.

4. Prototypical thread starter macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I checked my wife's 6 and couldn't find anything significant, so perhaps a trip to the Apple Store is in order. I had a similar issue with my iPad 2 but had hoped that problem had been resolved by now.

It doesn't help that the screen is SO sharp and impressive; any little imperfection shows up much more prominently than it ever did on previous devices. I suppose that's a good problem to have!

5. Prototypical thread starter macrumors 6502

Prototypical

iPhone 6 screen "hot spots?"

Attempted to get it replaced at my local Apple Store - after two trips back to the service techs, I was told the screen is "within spec" and can't be replaced. Wonderful.

Is contacting Apple directly an option, or are they just going to send me to our local store again?

Unfortunately we only have one store in the entire state so my only other option is to try again later and see if they change their stance... Or try the Palo Alto store when I'm there for work next week.

6. runningtowin macrumors member

Had them. On my 3rd replacement. Thank god for Applecare+. Really hoping it works this time.

Edit: one of those was for a different hardware defect.

7. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

My first iphone 6 has this. My replacement is also not uniform with a green tinge on the left. Waiting on my third replacement. LOL

I'm thinking most of these screens have issues. People just don't notice them for some reason because they are blind or something.

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Do you have display zoom on? That'll make the text softer. Also apps that have yet to be updated for the 6 and 6+ will show a little softer text. If you're using the standard view instead of display zoom, it should be just as sharp as the 5, but higher in contrast.

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I notice some blotchy spots around the top edge when I open an app with a lighter top (e.g. Snapchat). It isn't that big of a deal to me though.

10. runningtowin macrumors member

That's what I worry about but.... Hoping the next one is perfect.

11. BuffordT macrumors regular

Everyone has them to some degree. They are most evident at the top edge of the screen.

Consider yourself lucky if you only have some spotlighting and no piss yellow screens, dead pixels or dirt under the glass.

12. Prototypical thread starter macrumors 6502

Prototypical

This was my fear going in to have it looked at... It's annoying now, but there is always the possibility that the replacement is worse. That fear is worsened by the fact that Apple is still so early in the production cycle.

Maybe I should just wait for 5-6 months and let Apple/Foxconn/Pegatron work out their production issues? I have Applecare+, so I should be able to get it replaced whenever I want, assuming it can be identified as a "problem."

13. cababah macrumors 68000

After 5-6 months you probably won't care anymore. Most people are highest OCD when they first get their phone and scan every inch of it for problems.

After a few months you'll actually be using it instead of prepping it for display in a museum showcase.

14. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

Is it just me or should £600 phones not have noticeable display issues?

15. runningtowin macrumors member

You're right, to an extent. The issues on mine are pretty major. It'll bother me less later on, but not none. Hopefully a replacement fixes that. AC+ is nice, too.