iPhone 6 screen protectors - Overview and tradeoffs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Presonance, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Presonance, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

The iPhone 6 introduced a curved front glass, which changes the screen protector game entirely. We now have these options in terms of screen protectors:

1. Plastic film (SGP, Power Support, Tech Armor, etc.)

Pros:
    - Good feel
    - Matte option

Cons:
    - Not edge-to-edge
    - Scratches over time
    - Minimal drop protection

2. Flat glass (SGP, Tech Armor, Verizon, etc.)

Pros:
    - Best feel
    - Drop protection

Cons:
    - Not-edge-to-edge
    - Flattens the curved edges

3. "Curved glass" (iLoome)

Pros:
    - Best feel
    - Drop protection
    - Edge-to-edge coverage

Cons:
    - Strange colored border around the screen
    - Eliminates curved edge

4. Wet install urethane (Zagg, Best Skins Ever, Ghost Armor, etc.)

Pros:
    -Edge-to-edge coverage!

Cons:
    - So-so feel (?)
    - So-so optical quality (?)

----------------------------------------

So, how are you guys dealing with this?

I'm currently leaning towards trying #4 (wet install), but my previous experience with this type of skin has been horrible. I hated the sticky texture and orange peel effect (as compared to the other types of protectors, which look and feel like glass). The last time I tried one of these was about 6 years ago.

Can anyone comment on the current state of the wet-install market and how any of them compare to the look and feel of the other types of protectors? I had heard that Ghost Armor was better in these aspects but I would like to hear your detailed opinions.

2. Radiating macrumors 65816

Wet protectors have the exact same problem you had before. Edge to edge but tons of orange peel. I liked the sticky effect personally, makes the screen grippier.

3. aznniche macrumors newbie

bestskinever

their product covers the whole screen, but hate the orange peel look and feel. its hard to be 100% dust free with the wet install. think i'll just go without the screen since these screens are supposedly scratch proof.

4. 55test55 macrumors 6502

I'm using the Halo screen protector and it is pretty good quality. Seemed thin at first but i have no qualms. It was easy to apply, feels great. Only thing is that it needs to be a tad bit wider. I'm actually not sure the cutouts are perfectly level but it wouldnt matter if it was just a tiny bit wider (i know it cant go all the way, but a bit more would be nice).

5. phillyi macrumors member

Has anyone tried the Spigen Flex screen protector? If so how does it compare to the other wet install screen protectors?

6. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I have the Best Skins Ever, and yes, while there is a very SLIGHT orange peel effect, it's not nearly as bad as others, and when the phone is on you don't even notice it. Unless you're really looking for it while the screen is on, you don't even notice it

Personally, i'll take some orange peel effect over the terrible cutouts of the other screen protectors out there

7. Presonance thread starter macrumors regular

Presonance

What kind of screen protector is this? Does it cover the curved glass?

8. inf macrumors 6502

inf

Those haven't shipped yet. I have one set on pre-order, but I think I will get my PowerSupport protector first and install that.

9. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I started with the Zagg glass and returned it due to it not sealing around the edges. I purchased an Extreme guard Glass screen and it matches the Zagg exactly...I can't find a difference. I also purchased the back protection and it reminds me of the old zagg orange peel design, as well as a HD dry install. I'm still debating installing that in place of the glass protector to see if the edges but expect that it will not have any healing effects and that it has a 4h hardness, which will scratch with my keys. I would love it if someone could photo the Extreme Guard HD dry install and let me know about how it feels and the possibility of scratching/healing.

10. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Great post! I've had the iPhone 6 (wife) and 6 plus (me) for a couple of weeks and I haven't purchased a screen protector because there is no good one. I have tried BSE, Power Support, Spigen, Xtreme Guard in the past for other iPhones but never glass. With the new screen, the glass cutouts look terrible IMHO.

I'm interested in what people are "settling" with.