iPhone 6: Screen Replacement vs Phone Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rumorman69, Sep 21, 2014.

1. rumorman69 macrumors regular

for those that have ApplrCare+ / SquareTrade or any other kind of insurance:
    1. If your screen cracks, do you have the option between paying for your phone to be replaced or paying less for only the screen to be replaced? Or does Apple / the insurance company decide they'll only replace the screen?

2. Is there maybe a certain amount or type of damage that has to happen for you to be eligible for a phone replacement?

2. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

I had Apple care on my husband's 5. He has dropped it twice. Both times they asked if I wanted to wait to get glass replaced or replace the whole phone. I opted to replace the whole phone.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

My experience with Apple is that if they offer screen replacements, which they do now, then they won't replace the whole phone if just the screen is cracked as part of AppleCare+.

4. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Asked to wait in the sense that you had to wait for stores to start replacing screens in store, or basically just asked if you wanted to replace the whole phones or wait an hour or so for the screen to be replaced?

5. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

I see. What if the screen is broken and there is also cosmetic damage to the phone body?
    What needs to happen for your phone to be replaced? Water damage?

6. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

They have always just replaced the whole phone for me under AppleCare.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Which phones have you had replaced and when? Sometimes it can vary by store.

I took a friend's iPhone 5 to the Apple Store and got just a screen replacement (about six months prior to 5s release). When I took in my iPhone 5s they replaced the whole phone, and the store had no ability to just replace the screen.

In the case of the iPhone 5 I was basically told they would only replace the entire phone if there was something more wrong than just the screen being broke. I would not expect it to be any different now. If your screen is broken they are gonna replace the screen now that screen replacements are a standard repair option.

8. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

Hubby just broke the screen about a month ago and they replaced the whole phone. Rep didn't even offer to replace screen. The other time was probably 5 months ago. It was with the same 5.

9. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

I see. I'd rather get the entire phone replaced than just the screen.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

There are definitely situations where it would be nice to get just the screen replaced. When my screen broke I was not able to do a backup since I couldn't put the password in. I would have liked it if Apple could have just replaced the screen so I could save my data.