iphone 6+ screen sharper ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymous4a, Nov 10, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Can you really tell that the iPhone 6+ screen is sharper than the iPhone 6 ? I know the ppi is higher but is it actually noticeable ? I was thinking of getting the iPhone 6+ instead of iPhone 6 just for this ..

2. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

It is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS to me how much larger the pixels are on the 6 when the phones are side by side. Different people have different visual acuity though so you might not notice any difference at all.

It's like how some people have an incredible sense of smell. I pity them because the world smells awful.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Strange analogy ^

However, I can notice a difference. Is it major? No, but when zooming in on text it is the most noticeable. I find it funny how they have the term "Retina HD" even for the 6 which has the exact same PPI as the 5S, and the 5, and the 4S....and the 4 lol

4. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I actually can, especially when watching Netflix or Youtube. It just looks sharper and more clear. Apple knocked it outta of the park with the 6+'s screen.

5. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I think the 6+ screen looks better than the air2 and mini3.

It seems brighter as well.

6. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Sounds like you hang out with some *******s.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I do too! BUT HD is 720p or higher! The previous display was only 640p the new 6 display is technically over 720p! Its 750p! Hehehe. Stupid but theres some ration to it.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can see a difference. If all things were equal I would say it would make the plus the better phone. Unfortunately performance on the plus is a drag. Lags and crashes are a regular occurance for me. My wife's 6 is flawless. I do have the better battery life though.

Hooing (beyond hope) that software uodates make the 6 plus better for me. It's the best and worst iphone experience I've ever had. Best because I've long yearned for the sxreen real estate and battery life. Worst because I've never seen lag or crashibg in an iPhone that wasn't at least two years old.

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I doubt you see it on videos, the best way to tell is looking at text.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would say that is exactly their reasoning. Nowhere did they ever claim that retina hd means higher ppi than retina itself.

Peculiar, though, that iPads aren't called retina hd. It's all marketing. All of it.

----------

I've actually noticed Netflix looks nicer in my plus than wife's six. Not sure why. Perhaps due to the way it up and downs converts the video? Perhaps Netflix is sending the device a true 1080p feed? I really couldn't say.

11. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

The difference is very obvious, as soon as I got the 6 plus I simply thought the 6 looked like last years phone.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Try not having a sense of smell. I'd love to fully taste food again.

13. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Actually that's a negative. I can clearly see a difference when watching a video on the 6+ vs the 6. The + looks sharper and just overall looks better.

14. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What do you mean by "zooming in on text"?

15. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Probably because you're looking at a bigger screen, it's much more pleasing for video.

16. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Go to a Apple store and run a 1080p video such as YouTube latest music video simultaneous on both iPhone 6 and +. Big difference!

+ is much more clear and detailed.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

Like you are on a webpage, let's say MR forums, and you pinch to zoom on letters. I could see some jaggedness on the outline of the text when zoomed in on the iPhone 6 but on the 6+ the text still appears smooth and sharp.

18. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Meh. You probably have an easier time being thinner that way.

19. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I've had atleast two crashes with Safari on my iphone 6. I've only had this phone since this pass Saturday.

20. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

It's definitely a huge noticeable difference in all circumstances. It's what initially kept me from buying an iPhone 6. Side by side the 6+ looks so amazing that the 6 just looks awful in comparison. I realize the 6 on its own is a fine display but I wish they had bumped the ppi on the 6 also. Maybe the 6s. Anyway I think I'm just going to end up waiting another year. Sigh.

21. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Or maybe the 6+ with the higher resolution screen simply produces a better picture? The Plus just looks better than the 6, in terms of text and video. It just looks better.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

:(

I did notice safari seems to be unpolished in ways. Been using Mercury and have noticed a few things:

1) No crashes
    2) While playing video, transitioning to landscape is smooth as silk. In Safari it stutters 2-3 times and then gets back to playing

Strange thing is that, to my knowledge, all other browsers are still basically using most of Safari's code. They aren't browser's from the ground up. At least that is how I understand it.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Not at all. :D

24. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Haha! Unfortunately, this is my problem and I hate it! I can smell anything!

25. davedvdy, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

davedvdy macrumors regular

Movies, Text and photos can look sharper on the Plus, (Display Mate reviewed both and still mentioned the 6 has "very good" PPI as opposed to "excellent" on the 6+). The text still looks sharp on the 6 though. Nothing like the jagged text on the iPad 2 switch to iPad retina models.

From what I noticed, what wasn't take into account though is the fact that many non-optimized 6/6+ apps and games can look noticeably worse on the 6+.

All things considered, the difference isn't hugely noticeable to plenty of even respected reviewers (some didn't notice at all or very little difference was noted).