Iphone 6+ screen shattered. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Qwerty11, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

It looks like I can take it to Apple and let them fix it for $150 or order a DIY kit from Amazon that runs between $30-$60. Any advice?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

3. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure I can, unless it isn't too complicated of a process.

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Probably not worth it to fix it yourself, It'll likely get touch disease anyways because of the drop.

5. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Take it to apple; keep any warranty you might have and be eligible for recalls or problems in future that might be warrantied.

6. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

For what its worth, there isn't a warranty on the phone.

7. blaine07 macrumors 65816

As mentioned above, touch disease applies to phone with no remaining warranty I believe&& in future if something else were to come up they wouldn't cost it. No telling what could happen in future. I wouldn't want Joe smo working on my phone anyways. Apple Store for win

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Your going to pay the money to fix it yourself, and then your going to have to pay Apple $149 anyways when it gets touch disease because that's not related to the screen, but IS related to drops (like the one that caused your phone to crack). Just take it to Apple and pay it now, and actually save yourself some cash.

9. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Got ya. Will Apple fix the touch disease with the $149 screen replacement cost?

10. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I believe so, as the touch disease fix is $149 and it requires the entire phone to be swapped. I would bring it up at the Apple Store but not worry too much about it if you get it fixed through them.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Always go back to Apple for screen replacement. It is not worth going elsewhere. So many things could go wrong, you want someone that will stand behind their work.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My opinion. Is if you're not confident and repairing the iPhone yourself, then take it to a professional third-party or Apple. Don't chance it if you're not comfortable or having very little experience on how to replace a screen.