Resolved Iphone 6 screw problems! help!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laney1999, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laney1999 macrumors newbie

hi, i got my iphone 6 a few months ago and noticed that the screen was clicky and the home button wobble. In an effort to rectify i removen the screws then put them back in to see if it did anything. It worked however i chipped and scratched the screw surroundings and stripped the screw head. Since then, the wobbly home button has made another apperance and there is a dead pixel in the screen center. I have a genius bar appointment on saturday, how do i sweet talk my way to a replacement? will they even look at the screws for a dead pixel and wobbly home button? thanks guys!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is the very first thing they look at. No way they are going to give you a replacement, at least unless you get the best Geek ever?

3. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I told apple support that it was like this out of the box will that change anything

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Only if they believed you and I do not see how they could.

If you bought that phone off of ebay and saw this damage, what would you say?

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

They will likely "sweetly" tell you that once you opened up your phone you voided the warranty.

6. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't open it up just removed the screws and put them back in but the screwdriver was rubbish and chipped the surrounding metal and stripped the screw, not completely but still not like a normal screw

----------

That's why I'm asking people for help with what to say that have had past experience

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Don't say anything; just play dumb.

8. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive already told Apple chat though, should I blatantly deny doing anything to it? Would they replace it if they can't prove i did anything because I've not opened it at all?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can do whatever you want to do, but it all depends on what those you are dealing with on Apple's side decide. There isn't some magical thing that will make it work to your favor or something like that. They'll make the call and that will be that. Given everything, as others have mentioned, expect that nothing will happen of it (there's of course a chance that an agent might go with it all, and it might work to your favor somehow, but even with that small chance they might still not go through with it once they actually see the phone). So there's really no one that can tell you what could work better or worse, just what Apple ends up doing (or not doing) if you actually contact them.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Either way, they will probably see the damage and know that you (or some one) caused it. They will likely know that it is not a manufacturer defect.

I think the word you are looking for is lie, not deny.

11. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should be fine though if I lie and say that's how it came out of the box or it's been in a pocket with keys which could have caused the surrounding damage, do you think they will believe that

----------

If I show them the dead pixel first then they may not even look at the screws, right?

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

No one here knows. None of that is likely to work out, but there is a possibility that it might, that's all that anyone can really say.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Just do the right thing, it's much easier than all of this.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Lesson #1
    Don't take a knife or a screwdriver to an expensive device which has Torx screws. Purchase the correct tool from Ebay or the internet before meddling.#

15. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I would personally be honest with them. Just be like, "I tried to tighten the screws to see if that would help the loose screen - I didn't remove the screen itself, and I know it wasn't greatest idea."

They'll know right away if you're not telling the truth - they'll know right away if you say "it came like that."

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

People scuff up their phones all the time. You could have nicked it in that screw area.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It really depends on how bad the screw and the area around it looks. The key in the pocket lie is going to get the to smile for sure.

Apple Geeks have seen and heard it all. I think I would also go with the honesty thing. If it is the screen they will replace it for you under warranty instead of giving you a refurb and when replacing the screen the repair person will not miss the buggered screw.

Anyway you can post an image of that area?

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

In other words you want to lie and commit an illegal act of Fraud.

19. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

A white lie doesn't make it fraud. It's not like he exchanged the screen and is claiming it's an original Apple one.

Apple have a lot of screws, they won't care. They'll just make a refurb model and give it as a replacement to someone else in the future.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Please tell us the difference in a "white lie" and a lie that makes fraud.

How do they differ :confused:

21. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Genius Bar appointment tomorrow help!!

I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping to get my phone replaced. Out of the box my phone came with a clicky screen and wobbly home button so I tightened the screws on the phone and screws the heads of the screws slightly.bi told Apple chat that the screws were stripped out of the box and I expressed my concern about being blamed and they said not to worry they can do tests to see if it's a manufacturers fault or not. My phone recently developed a dead black pixel and I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow. How do I go about getting a replacement. Will my age affect anything im 16

22. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

23. TWO2SEVEN, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015

TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

So you lied?

24. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes and that's how it's going to remain

25. laney1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the pics guys tell me what you think! Thanks #