Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Right now, the front camera is good enough for iMessage and Instagram, but the photos look terrible when printed on a 4x6 or viewed on desktop Facebook. Just a few months ago, the NYT was lamenting the sad state of affairs of smartphone front cameras.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/t...se-for-a-more-selfie-friendly-smartphone.html

The iPhone 5S was the surprising disappointment of the bunch. Its focus was inconsistent, colors tended to appear washed out, and its lens produced the most distortion of the bunch (once again: My nose does not look like that in real life).

Yet none of the selfies I took could reasonably be considered “good” photos

Good news is that a lot of the iPhone 6 mockups, the Facetime hole looks a lot bigger than the existing one, but it's unknown if it's just a bump from 1.2 megapixels to 2, or a real upgrade like the HTC One M8 (5 megapixels). Anyone else itching to find out how big of an upgrade it will be? :D

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
It would be nice to see the front facing camera drastically improve in quality. But considering that most of the people who take 'selfies' with it are posting them to instagram, twitter and other mobile sites, and mostly view them on these site via their phones and tablets I don't think its entirely necessary.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
But then, why improve the rear camera?

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/selfie-statistics_b48081

Opinium surveyed 2,000 adults in the UK and found that 51 percent of respondents have taken a self-image, creating some 35 million photos every month, almost half of which (48 percent) are posted on Facebook. Twitter (9 percent), Instagram (8 percent)

So actually, a lot of these selfies get posted to Facebook, where they look pretty crappy when viewed from your personal computer.

http://gizmodo.com/god-help-us-theres-now-a-dedicated-selfie-section-in-1543659855

Don't forget, Apple recently made a dedicated selfie section. They know people are taking a lot of them, and I'm sure even though they look ok on Instagram, people wouldn't mind if they looked better :)

----------

No more "selfies!!"

I'm so sick of that word lol

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_...ing_a_number_of_neologisms_and_extending.html

What about the "groupie"? It's not just for the narcissts, the front camera is great for capturing moments with our loved ones :) This one below could be better, taken with the Galaxy Note 3's 2 megapixels. It would have looked a lot more pixelated with the 5s.

BhxWutnCEAAtEQ6.jpg

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
It would be nice if somehow they could reverse the physical components and use the same camera lens for both front and back.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
But then, why improve the rear camera?

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/selfie-statistics_b48081

So actually, a lot of these selfies get posted to Facebook, where they look pretty crappy when viewed from your personal computer.

http://gizmodo.com/god-help-us-theres-now-a-dedicated-selfie-section-in-1543659855

Don't forget, Apple recently made a dedicated selfie section. They know people are taking a lot of them, and I'm sure even though they look ok on Instagram, people wouldn't mind if they looked better :)

----------

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_...ing_a_number_of_neologisms_and_extending.html

What about the "groupie"? It's not just for the narcissts, the front camera is great for capturing moments with our loved ones :) This one below could be better, taken with the Galaxy Note 3's 2 megapixels. It would have looked a lot more pixelated with the 5s.

Ugh that pic is so cringe worthy.

I'd love a better selfie camera.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Everyone looks so happy in that picture. It's a lot easier to look good when you can see yourself versus having to say "cheese" in front of a photog, then asking them to delete it lol

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Everyone looks so happy in that picture. It's a lot easier to look good when you can see yourself versus having to say "cheese" in front of a photog, then asking them to delete it lol

It's easy to smile when you're worth millions.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
It's easy to smile when you're worth millions.

And even easier when you're being payed millions just to take that ridiculous "selfie" with a piece of Samsung trash.

The whole trend needs to die. Selfies, and the self-involved people that take them are a cancer.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Oh come on, not everyone that takes selfies are ugly :) I would have liked to have seen Bradley Cooper's skin pores in that selfie lol.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Right now, the front camera is good enough for iMessage and Instagram, but the photos look terrible when printed on a 4x6 or viewed on desktop Facebook. Just a few months ago, the NYT was lamenting the sad state of affairs of smartphone front cameras.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/t...se-for-a-more-selfie-friendly-smartphone.html

Good news is that a lot of the iPhone 6 mockups, the Facetime hole looks a lot bigger than the existing one, but it's unknown if it's just a bump from 1.2 megapixels to 2, or a real upgrade like the HTC One M8 (5 megapixels). Anyone else itching to find out how big of an upgrade it will be? :D

Not one of the quality issues listed in your quote would be fixed by more pixels. I hope any upgrades are similar to what was done with the rear camera.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Not one of the quality issues listed in your quote would be fixed by more pixels. I hope any upgrades are similar to what was done with the rear camera.

Agreed what people don't think about or know is that megapixels don't dictate the quality of the pic it's the sensor and to a less extent the lens. So if Apple could improve that then we could see a lot better quality of the "selfie"

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I am with you in that megapixels aren't everything, low light, and speed matters too. Still, there's only so much that you can stretch an image, especially from a low resolution. Shutterfly recommends at least 3 megapixels, but again, if all you do is post to Instagram and view it on the small screen of your iPhone, it doesn't matter.

Sony's going to announce a super selfie phone (in addition to the recent HTC One Mini 2), hopefully Apple follows suit soon. They're supposed to contract with Sony for a 2015 phone, maybe it will be accelerated :)

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-hints-at-new-phone-with-front-flash-for-better-selfies/

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-said-to-be-talking-to-apple-about-camera-for-new-iphone/

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Anyone else itching to find out how big of an upgrade it will be? :D

No. All I use it for is FaceTime. What I really want it better back facing camera. By no stretch of the imagination is the 5s a bad camera, hell, sometimes it's photos come better then my point and shoot, however I would like it to be bumped to 10-12mp with better low light functionality. If it gets a wide angle (non-fisheye) lens, I might even upgrade early just because I really want to replace my point and shoot with one device.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
And even easier when you're being payed millions just to take that ridiculous "selfie" with a piece of Samsung trash.

The whole trend needs to die. Selfies, and the self-involved people that take them are a cancer.

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the internet didn't they? Bit over the top there don't ya think?

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the internet didn't they? Bit over the top there don't ya think?

Nope. Just right, I'd say.

You may be able to tolerate ten million girls duck facing their brains out, but I, however, cannot.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Nope. Just right, I'd say.

You may be able to tolerate ten million girls duck facing their brains out, but I, however, cannot.

Then shut down your Facebook and be quiet. "Selfies" are not a new thing by any means, and your attitude is far more annoying than they are.

More megapixels please. My son sends me endless "selfies" and the grainy images are an eyesore on my ATV screen saver.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Then shut down your Facebook and be quiet. "Selfies" are not a new thing by any means, and your attitude is far more annoying than they are.

More megapixels please. My son sends me endless "selfies" and the grainy images are an eyesore on my ATV screen saver.

A; Don't have one.

B; You can't tell me what to do.

C; You're not my real dad.

The beauty of an internet forum. People have different opinions. Deal with it. :cool:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Unfortunately for you its not a trend. People love looking at themselves, its human nature pretty much (why babies love mirrors generally speaking). Now its just easier to share.

My family used to have a store front in a fairly popular shopping strip. The glass in front of the office area was mirrored for sun and security. It was absolutely hilarious to watch people through it. However what I did notice is people in general could not help from look at themselves, just watch themselves walk by. I bet half of the people didn't know they were even doing it.

Regardless, for whatever psychological reason there is, people taking pictures of themselves (selfies) will not go away.

Might as well make the pictures better. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.