iPhone 6 - Setup as New or Restore Backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsatterfield, Oct 1, 2014.

1. lsatterfield macrumors member

What have you guys done?
    I'm trying to decide if I should restore my current backup, which has been progressing since my 3GS days, or set up my iPhone 6 Plus as a new device and build everything back up from there.

I've heard that certain battery or system issues can be caused from backups as well as regular problems with the device or iOS, so I would want to start of new in order to erase any potential issues. What do you guys think?

All of my contacts and personal data will still be kept from my SIM and iCloud account, correct?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually do a restore, as opposed to setting up new. When I got my 5c, I set it up new, and found that I was probably better off restoring from a backup just because it was less work

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

If you're upgrading from the 3GS, I would recommend setting up as new.

And yes, your contacts, calendars, notes, etc. will all be restored from iCloud. You just have to sync your apps and music.

4. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

restore is the convenient and easy.

I did restore for my wife and no issues so I recommend that.

I did clean install for myself, alot more work with reinstalling everything. But I like a clean start and makes sure that apps I no longer use aren't installed.
    imessages history is all gone, but I don't care. had to copy all ringtones again and setup ringtones for each individual

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I've always restored from backup since 3GS. Never a problem.

6. lsatterfield thread starter macrumors member

Oh! i'm coming from a 4s right now, but the 3GS was the original backup starter. :)

Thank you all for your kind answers.