iPhone 6 should have been thicker for battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhinged, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dhinged macrumors newbie

Phone thinness is overrated; the bigger the phone gets, the more it slips out of my hand the thinner it is. I had this problem when I upgraded from the Droid (nice and thick and easy to hold) to the Droid RAZR MAXX (very big and thin), where the phone would slip trying to handle it especially with a case on that did not have a good grip (which was still better than any naked phone grip).

Considering the camera eyepiece sticks out from the back and the iPhone 6 doesn't have much of a better battery life than the iPhone 5 or 5S, they should have just extended the back to add more usage. My guess is people would not have noticed or complained, as it would still be thinner than the iPhone 4 which I never heard anybody complain about its thickness.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I agree. They should have made it thick enough to keep the camera flush with the case, and used all that extra space for battery. No one would notice the difference

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple isn't about thick devices, they continually push the envelope on making things thin. At this point its so thin the lens of the camera protrudes.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think we almost all feel that way, but they still have good battery life.

My 4S only gets 6 hours of 3G browsing while the iPhone 6 gets 10 hours of LTE/3G. So, despite the thinness they have improved.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I agree. This is currently my hold up on the iPhone 6.

I'm waiting until some of you guys get them in hand and start posting battery usage screen shots. I need something that can get around 8-10 hours of screen on time. My job makes it tough to keep my phone plugged in often enough to keep it charged and battery cases are just to bulky for me.

And why is Apples phone measurements based around the thinnest part of the phone and not the actual depth? If we go from the thinnest part the old ass Droid Razr was 7.1mm thick which is the thickness of the iPhone 6+.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

Exactly this. I still cannot fathom why they made the design decision to have it protrude, unless it was going to have a fisheye option with an ultra wide field of view. I haven't seen direct from Apple, but heard that the camera has a sapphire lens cover. At least it should be mostly scratch-proof, but there seems to be more positives than negatives in regards to having the camera flush.

7. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I will second that. Don't get me wrong, I like light and thin, but not at the expense of potential battery life and having a camera module sticking out.

Also, the bezels are both new iPhone models are WAY TOO BIG. It's not as big of a deal on the 6, but add a tremendous amount of size (length) on the 6 Plus. For example, the forthcoming Galaxy Note 4 will sport a 5.7" screen, but is actually shorter than the 6 Plus based on having smaller bezels.

I note all of that because I'm sure they could have cut down on the bezels had they not been hell bent on trying to make it as thin as paper.

8. cornerexit macrumors regular

They should have just made the thing as thick as a book. That way the battery would last two weeks. ;)

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

I've wondered about that as well. I'd love it if the top and bottom bezels were smaller, but that would also result in a smaller battery and another hit to battery life. Plus with the physical home button, the bottom one can't get but so much smaller. I'd guess there's some engineering reasons behind what they've done, but who knows.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Honestly, I don't think there will be a big difference between the battery life of the 6 and 6+. Sure, on paper it looks like there is but I don't know anyone who's ever gotten those usage times on the 5S, myself included. In fact, I've never achieved any of those usage times that Apple has touted on any of their iPhones (and I've had every single one). So, I believe, in reality the difference in average usage between the 6 & 6+ would probably be 30-45mins.

11. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree but adding a case and the extra weight, it might not have been as pleasant.