iPhone 6, Simultaneous Voice + LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

By now, we should all know the iPhone is not capable of simultaneous voice and LTE. (Yes you GSM people, it drops to 3G, not LTE, during a voice call).

On Verizon and Sprint this is particularly frustrating as there is no data at all while on a voice call. Every other LTE phone can do simultaneous Voice + LTE, but not Apple.

Will the iPhone 6 change that?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes. The iPhone 6 can do VoLTE. Currently with Verizon, the iphone can only do one or the other. Verizon announced that it will be switching over to VoLTE in 2015. So the iPhone 6 will be able to do voice and data at the same time on Verizon WHEN Verizon begins rolling out VoLTE. At least in theory.

3. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

They said, that Voice over LTE will be possible. It may depend on your carrier and/or iOS version.
    Or does it depend on hardware, that the older iPhones don't have?

4. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

VoLTE? Did you miss that part in the keynote?

Besides wouldn't simultaneous voice and LTE be a feature the carrier would have to support? Lol, You can't blame Apple for that one.

5. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

VoLTE is data though. Thats like saying I can facetime and browse the web. :p

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I'm hoping that Verizon will quickly follow T-Mobile and allow voice over wifi.

7. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I remember reading something on the forum earlier that even when Verizon finally turns on VoLTE that both handsets need to be VoLTE phones and both phones need to be in an VoLTE area.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Voice calls on Verizon will not be counted against your data using VoLTE, however, facetime will.

9. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Source? IF this is accurate I will be extremely happy.

Agreed.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

From this article "Starting up Verizon’s new service won’t cost subscribers anything, but the packet-based voice calls will count against their minutes if they have time-limited plans, and the video part of the calls will count as data use. For a subscriber who finds they like upgrading voice calls to video chats, the extra bytes could add up"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2598860/for-verizon-volte-means-video-calls-hd-voice-and-alaska.html

11. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Hope on the H...Verizon" Lets hope they don't change their mind. How are the other carriers going to count VoLTE?

12. HarryDevlin macrumors member

Alas, no. The Android phone manufacturers decided to have separate antennas for voice and data. Apple decided against it. So the GSM iPhones drop the data to 3G/W-CDMA/HSDPA during a voice call, while the CDMA iPhones can't do simultaneous cellular voice and LTE data at all. This has been a sore point ever since the first LTE iPhone appeared because everyone thought that with the iPhone 5 that this issue would be resolved but it wasn't.

VoLTE will ultimately solve this issue, but it'll be a long time before both Verizon, and all of its partner CDMA carriers, all support VoLTE. One thing that many people don't realize, because it's seamless, is the large amount of roaming that Verizon phones do. While Verizon has the best coverage in the U.S., in rural areas that coverage is often on partner carriers. Even in California I frequently roam onto partner carriers (usually Golden State Cellular).

I thought that with the larger size of the iPhone 6 that Apple would finally fix this issue, not just for CDMA users, but for GSM users as well, but alas that does not appear to have happened.

----------

That was a column in some publication by someone that was very misinformed. It won't be an "HD" quality call unless both handsets are VoLTE but the call will still be completed.

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Wait so if I'm on a LTE call on Sprint I can't get data simultaneously? I've been so used to doing it with my note 2 I don't even think about it anymore. That may be an issue for me but I'll have to see how it plays out real world. Good thing I have 2 weeks to decide.