Iphone 6 slow Motion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bensweet108, Oct 14, 2014.

1. bensweet108 macrumors newbie

For some weird reason I can't figure out how to get the full quality slow motion videos on my laptop from my phone.

Can't send full rez and can't find it through iTunes either…

Anyone knows?

Merci

2. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

When you connect your phone to a PC, does it ask you to trust the device on PC? If you choose yes, then I think you can just drag and drop the media from your iPhone to a PC and they should have the original quality.

There could be other easier ways to do it that am not aware.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have not used the slow motion function on the iPhone but am willing to be that you can not use the higher quality due to hardware limitations. To record so many frames a second, the amount of resolution has got to be reduced.

4. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

The slow motion is on 720p. I have not used it this year on the iPhone 6 but 5S had the 120fps at 720p.

5. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers everyone,

720 would be fine but I still can't seem to get it to my laptop. Only the original video, no the slow motion version…

I'll keep trying :)

6. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I thought unless you are running Mac OS the only way to export the video in slo-mo was to import into iMovie and slow down the speed then export it as a normal video.

7. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I have a mac but still have issues with getting it out of the iPhone

8. Ruprict macrumors newbie

You have to access the video via the lightning cable. Pull it from the folder on the iPhone-same way you would pull pictures off an SD card.

----------

It maybe 720p but the quality is not good. Darker and more grainy than a good 720p video should be.

9. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah all the photos and videos show up when I plug it in but not the slow motion one, it's somehow embedded deeper into the system.

when I email it, it comes around 400 on the long side, not 720…

still working on this

10. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Lighting has to be really good when shooting slo mo
    When shooting anything @ that speed the film will come out grainy if lighting isn't perfect

11. Ruprict macrumors newbie

Thanks. Do you have any idea why this is?

12. TruckdriverSean, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

http://gizmodo.com/5164508/tips-for-shooting-the-best-slow-motion-video

13. Ruprict macrumors newbie

1. Use Lots of Light
    When you shoot slow mo, you are taking pictures quickly. And when you take pictures quickly, light has less time to create an image in your camera. Shoot in plenty of light, or you will get dark and gloomy slow-mo.

14. oneofthenine macrumors regular

Yep, if it is true 240fps then it is like a 1/240 shutter speed on a camera. Even a good DSLR with a quality lens is going to struggle to capture low light images at that shutter speed.

15. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Yep. Light was near top of all the lists I found. Shutter speed is very quick at that point, giving half the time per exposure that you would get with 120fps if I'm understanding things.

In the context of a very auto-centric camera like the iPhone, that also means that the phone will bump up ISO to bring your image out of the dark, imparting a heck of a lot of noise in the process.

16. oneofthenine macrumors regular

Yes exactly true with the ISO and also the bitrate is lower which will cause some noise.

The jury seems to still be out on whether the camera is really recording 240fps or whether it uses a twixtor style interpolation of a 120fps piece. I guess the way to tell would be to shoot a 5s 120fps video in the same lighting as a 6 240fps one and see if there is any fall off in lighting on the iPhone 6 as there should be exactly half the shutter speed.

17. Ruprict macrumors newbie

It is truly shooting 240. Actually, 239.4. The bitrate of 240fps and 30fps(1080p) was nearly identical.

18. weaverra macrumors regular

Nope, it not like shutter speed. FPS and shutter speed are two different things. At 240fps you would need a shutter speed of 1/480 of a second. That means 240 frames of video are captured at 1/480 shutter speed per frame. Each of those 240 frames are exposed for 1/480th of a second. Basically it's 240 images per second. Shutter speed is only referring to how long the frame is exposed to light. You need two things either more light or higher ISO to compensate. The higher the ISO the more grain you will get.

19. oneofthenine macrumors regular

How did you test the in-camera fps before processing? Quite a few video sites are still looking through videos to work it out.

----------

wow, thanks and stand corrected. So that's a considerably larger amount of light needed.

20. weaverra macrumors regular

You can tell because certain lights that use ballast will flicker when played back. The video size is nearly twice the size for the slow motion due to the extra frames even at the same bit rate.

----------

Yes, in video you always want to set your shutter speed double your fps.