iPhone 6 - smashed screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark., Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mark. macrumors member

My wife dropped her iPhone 6 today and the screen has smashed (despite having a screen protector on).

The phone was bought outright and is 2 years old.

Apple seem to charge £136ish to repair/replace a damaged screen but I have found reputable places that will repair for less.

Is there any disadvantage to having the screen repaired by a third party?

Thanks in advance!

2. Matthewserta macrumors newbie

Matthewserta

We have used many of the Mall replacement kiosks in the past without any issues afterword. Id say its worth the saving.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Every third party repair store is different. If it was me, I would rather Apple have compete the repair, mainly because they guarantee their services and they use genuine parts as well.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Not so much "disadvantage" as "risk." If the phone was still under warranty, there's a disadvantage to using a non-authorized repair shop. Once warranty has expired, you simply face the risk that you may not be getting what you paid for - perhaps a sub-standard display rather than original quality, perhaps a less-competent repairperson, perhaps no warranty on the repair.... Will the repair shop be willing to accept responsibility for damage done to the phone during repair?

You said these are reputable places. If so, and you can save a bit of money, great.