iPhone 6 sold as unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarryWild, Jun 12, 2014.

1. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I remember having to wait the three months before Apple came out with unlocked models.

Do you think you can buy unlocked non carrier subsided iPhone 6s at the release?

People said that you can get it unlocked by paying full price and telling them that you do not want to commit to any carrier and when you sync it with iTunes it will be automatically unlocked. But I not sure that is true so I just waited for an unlocked model from Apple to be issued.

Anyone purchase at the release - an unlocked iPhone?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Anyone who bought a Verizon iPhone 5, 5c or 5s purchased an unlocked phone.

When the iPhone 6 comes out, you can do te same thing.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The factory unlocked took about a month or slightly more.

4. HarryWild thread starter macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Several recent threads at CNET claim that the Verizon model does not work well with AT&T nor T-Mobile. So I rather get a GSM unlocked version if I can. The bands and such do match up but there might be something internal in the Verizon phone that interferes with the GSM.

I hate to buy the Verizon and have to end up using Verizon. That would be the just too crazy of a thing to have happen.

----------

I don't recall it was a month time however. Can some else offer an opinion on this - how long the wait for Apple to offer an unlocked model. I thought it was three month - just before Christmas or after it! I purchased mine after the new years maybe two weeks into 2014.

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

I have used a verizon 5s and 5c on AT&T and Tmobile without any issues whatsoever.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Go ahead and do what you want, but I can assure you that the Verizon 5c and 5s work flawlessly on AT&T and T-Mobile. My wife has a Verizon 5s she transferred over when we she switched to AT&T, and I have a good friend with a 5c on his AT&T shared data plan that he brought over from Verizon.

They're GSM unlocked and have all the same bands as the AT&T or T-Mobile models. They're the same hardware. The Verizon iPhone 5 is another story. It'll work on AT&T, but LTE won't function because it has different bands than what AT&T uses.

----------

Also, the unlocked 5s showed up about two months after the original release.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/22...hone-5s-models-in-u-s-with-1-2-week-shipping/

7. 617aircav Suspended

Last year if you ordered from Apple at full price it was unlocked, except the Sprint model.

8. serega macrumors regular

9. HarryWild thread starter macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Yes that was the rumor; but then there were some doubts of that being true too. I have decided for now to buy the iPhone 6 at Apple website during pre-order in the hopes that it will be unlocked after I pay full price for it and sync it will iTunes. If not; I will return it back to the Apple Store. I was kind of hesitant to do that last year but waiting it out till the beginning of this year.

Thanks for all the feedback! It is interesting to re-live history! LOL.

10. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Im using a Verizon iPhone 5s on both T-Mobile and AT&T.

I have a Galaxy S5 one for T-Mobile and one for AT&T and both have more issues with service than do the Verizon 5s' that I've been using on both services.

To counter the argument of using carrier branded phones, my mother has a T-Mobile 5s she uses and I have consistently better service on T-Mobile than she does using my Verizon iPhone 5s.

On the other side with AT&T my gf has an AT&T branded 5s and I still have consistently better service on my Verizon 5s than she does on her AT&T 5s both of us using AT&T.

Say what you feel is best. I have tested the Verizon 5s through thick and thin and it works really well on both services.

Edit: I've been Traveling South America from November to February and used my Verizon 5s and it worked flawlessly everywhere.

I'm currently in Europe and have been here since April and again the Verizon iPhone 5s is having 0 issues.

11. af21187 Suspended

Sign up for a plan and buy the phone through ATT Next, pay it off next day, cancel your plan. They have a 14 or 30 day cancellation policy if you are not satisfied. Phone should be unlocked by ATT if you completely own it.

You can do the same thing with Verizon (I think) who has to have their phone unlocked because of some legal agreement or something to have to do with the LTE bands? Correct me if I am wrong please. If you do it through Verizon, you should be able to access GSM networks as well.

12. HarryWild thread starter macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I went through something like this last year. Went to the local AT&T store and the sales guy said "Yeah - no problem! Do you want to get one" and then I called AT&T customer service while I was at the AT&T store. Customer services said "that I had to wait for 120 days and have an account that was in good standing in order to qualify to get this phone unlocked".

13. 617aircav Suspended

Its not a rumor. I bought two of them on launch day. just pay full price.

----------

just buy from Apple.